Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been saving a couple pennies back over here in Iraq.. Thinking about what I could do to my nova.. When I was riding in it back home (before AND after I blew the driveshaft at the BBQ haha) I realized the suspension was a little loose.. Anyone know where the best place to get a full suspension kit would be? I would imagine of I went all new it would be a little stiffer and a smoother ride.. I've also been thinking about brakes.. But I know nothing about drums =\ if I could get some input I would greatly appreciate it. Any info would help me out.. Can't wait to get back and work on it some more.. And thanks again to everyone who helped out at the first BBQ!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Ok so I've been saving a couple pennies back over here in Iraq.. Thinking about what I could do to my nova.. When I was riding in it back home (before AND after I blew the driveshaft at the BBQ haha) I realized the suspension was a little loose.. Anyone know where the best place to get a full suspension kit would be? I would imagine of I went all new it would be a little stiffer and a smoother ride.. I've also been thinking about brakes.. But I know nothing about drums =\ if I could get some input I would greatly appreciate it. Any info would help me out.. Can't wait to get back and work on it some more.. And thanks again to everyone who helped out at the first BBQ!
Thank you for everything your doing over there.:salute:
CBR has come out with new upper and lower control arms for all of us 3rd gen owners. I just put them on my car along with new shocks. It made a huge improvement in the ride and handling, they also took away some tire rub I had. Check the CBR website.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the support, it actually does mean a lot when people express that they care about what we do. And I'll be sure to look them up..did you keep the rear suspension with leaf springs or did you go coilovers? And what did you do about your rear brakes.. Still drum or disk? I've been thinking about switching it all out.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
First off, thanks for your service. Please be safe.

My opinion is to rebuild the suspension and add disc brakes to the front. You don't have to get crazy, a stock 11" setup fron any number of suppliers would be great. The drums in back will work fine.

As you get more funds, think about bigger sway bars, rear disc's, better shocks, etc.

Do the basics first!

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I appreciate the support, it actually does mean a lot when people express that they care about what we do. And I'll be sure to look them up..did you keep the rear suspension with leaf springs or did you go coilovers? And what did you do about your rear brakes.. Still drum or disk? I've been thinking about switching it all out.
I have mono leafs on the back and left those alone. I just installed new adjustable Vari Shocks all the way around and still playing with the adjustments. Next step is LS disc brake upgrade front and rear which I hope to get done in the next week or 2. That will be it, then just drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
26,335 Posts
Geeze now he chimes in, I haven't heard from you since the BBQ. I'm glad you're safe & sound. Thanks for your tour of service :salute:
I'm glad I had a driveshaft laying around for ya. With all the headaches of finding u-joints we got you rolling again.
Hey when you get back let's look over your entire brakes, suspension, and anything else you wanna swap out, and get a clear picture of what you want and what you wanna spend. I'll get my team of technicians (LB '62 CREW) together and knock it out in a SATURDAY.
Bring it by when ya get back.
BIG D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geeze now he chimes in, I haven't heard from you since the BBQ. I'm glad you're safe & sound. Thanks for your tour of service :salute:
I'm glad I had a driveshaft laying around for ya. With all the headaches of finding u-joints we got you rolling again.
Hey when you get back let's look over your entire brakes, suspension, and anything else you wanna swap out, and get a clear picture of what you want and what you wanna spend. I'll get my team of technicians (LB '62 CREW) together and knock it out in a SATURDAY.
Bring it by when ya get back.
BIG D
again, thanks for the support, and the driveshaft, and for the moral support...and for being the only one who could knock those old u-joints out hahaha. and that sounds like an awesome plan...i got my dates for leave...which is weird because i dont have my dates for when i get back stateside hahah..but ill be back mid september..but that sounds like a pretty good deal, i think shocks would help out a lot..and i KNOW at LEAST the front passenger brake needs to be changed..not sure how bad it is, but it was squealing a lot right before i left..ill probably do the rotors and the pads..im hoping someone down there knows how to work on drums? i have no idea how to mess with em...when the drums get bad over here we just do a full swap..and i think that would be a little pricey..but im not too sure. and i know its been a while..my laptop went out on me over here..the dust storms tore it up =\ but i got a new one and im up and running again.. ive been looking at a lot of threads about wheels and tires..man it seems like they never end!! haha ill have to see what im gonna do about my suspension before i worry about those though..i just have nothing better to do than think about what i could be doing to my baby if i was home haha....oh yeah.. and header gaskets...i have em in my car but didnt get around to putting them on..i need to get this sound fixed asap! http://youtu.be/CUICMXKBBpQ yep yep, you can definitely hear the headers leaking =\ good stuff though.. but again.. appreciate everything big d, take it easy. HOOAH! :salute:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another sum' sum' ive been thinking about (and completely ready to get yelled at for) is the engine work.. ive been debating between power adders..and the things ive been liking so far have been a) afr 195 heads b) blower...probably either weiand or vortech.. or c) a gas set up..probably the nos sniper..i dont wanna put too big of a shot yet...ive been looking and looking on here..i was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about any option and which one would benefit me the most for a street/strip set up.. i realize that the nitrous would be the cheapest..but it would also probably be the least used..so its all up in the air.. any input would be awesome..thanks =D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts