Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While repairing the window glass runs I decided it was time to remove the headliner & board. The board is perfect except it it's warped from sagging. Anyone have an idea how to repair just so it looks ok when I glue on the new fabric? Just trying to save a buck. Thanks

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Hi bowtiebutch,

The headliner board in my 74 was the same way ... good but a little warped and sagging. The plastic replacement headliner boards weren't available back when I did mine so I fixed the existing backer board. This may sound a bit crude, but I simply stapled a couple thin wood laths to the backside of the headliner board. It took the sags out and has held up just fine for the past 8 or 9 years. I also "stitched up" a small crack in one corner of the backer board with staples. I carefully bent them over on the back rather than driving them into wood. The staple heads do leave small bumps on the backer board but they don't show through the foam backed material.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I tried the bow conversion about 5 years ago...what a pain! On this go around, I got the plastic board with fabric on it already. Yes it is a little more money, but well worth it when it comes to fit, finish, and ease of installation. Just wait a bit, save some more pennies, and go from there.

Jason

·
Registered
320 Posts
bowtiebutch said:
While repairing the window glass runs I decided it was time to remove the headliner & board. The board is perfect except it it's warped from sagging. Anyone have an idea how to repair just so it looks ok when I glue on the new fabric? Just trying to save a buck. Thanks
Have you tried using steam? it's just a thought. Don't they rent wallpaper steamers at rental places. You might just get enough moisture in it to get the shape back and let it dry........worth a shot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I have time before I find the right glass run channel for the quarter windows I will do some expiermenting with the headliner board. If I mess it up I always can purchase the plastic repo later. I do agree about the conversion kits. I installed a headliner in my 41 Chevy coupe before I sold it needless to say it wasn't easy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My '73 Ventura had a bow type headliner in it when I bought it........I thought that was what it was supposed to have. Looks good anyway. If anyone needs pics I will take some.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Colin said:
My '73 Ventura had a bow type headliner in it when I bought it........I thought that was what it was supposed to have.
Hi Colin,

I've heard that the changeover from the bow type to the one-piece backer board type headliners didn't actually take place until partway into the 73 model year production. So the bow type headliner in your 73 could very well be original. Just out of curiosity, what is the build date of your car?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ray_McAvoy said:
Hi Colin,

I've heard that the changeover from the bow type to the one-piece backer board type headliners didn't actually take place until partway into the 73 model year production. So the bow type headliner in your 73 could very well be original. Just out of curiosity, what is the build date of your car?
I've never seen a 73 with a bow-type headliner (and ,along with my brother, we've "specialized" in 73-4 for 15+ years ).

Would definately be interested in any info this turns up.

Can you post build dates or VIN info, to show when the car was built, etc ?

~ AL

·
Registered
475 Posts
I will check into the build date in the next couple of days.
The previous owner may have changed it to the bow style, Im not sure.
Did some '73's have retractable shoulder belts? Mine does not have them but I have a '74 that does, just curious.

·
Registered
112 Posts
where can I get a plastic one? I ditched mine ten years ago.
spence

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

If you do a search on the popular auction website for 73 Nova headliner it will come up. While all the normal parts places stock them, I saved a lot of money by buying it through the auction site. It's the same company that supplies all the Nova parts places. It comes neatly rolled up in a box. Unroll it, put it out in the sun for about 30 minutes and it's ready to put it.

Jason

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jason I'm a bit confused about the web site you are referring to. Do you have the address all I ever use is E-Bay. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bowtiebutch said:
Update on headliner board. After a couple of days experimenting I was able to remove 90% of the sags. I laid the board on a flat table and sprayed the warped areas with water let soak for a few minutes. I then hit them with a steam iron until the water evaporated then placed a heavy weight (1 gallon full paint cans) on the worked area and let it dry. It has held its new position and doesn't seem to pop back. I'll lay it out in the sun for final drying if we get a nice day here in the N.W. If it holds I'll try to glue on new material.
Don

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
bowtiebutch said:
Jason I'm a bit confused about the web site you are referring to. Do you have the address all I ever use is E-Bay. Thanks
Greetings,

Yep...eBay...I know that's kinda a bad word on this site so I try to avoid it. I did a search for 73 Nova headliner and a couple popped up.

Jason

·
Registered
320 Posts
bowtiebutch said:
I laid the board on a flat table and sprayed the warped areas with water let soak for a few minutes. I then hit them with a steam iron until the water evaporated
Sweet, I glad the water/steam thing worked for you:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts