Chevy Nova Forum banner

461 - 480 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Your 4 hours of WTF were beneficial knowledge for me so thank you sir I'll buy ya a beer as long as we stay 6 feet apart with masks. totally kidding about that last part haha but I really did not realize that about the springs nor did I know how tell the difference between the horns so that was a cool read for me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
I've ben making some progress: headlights buckets are done and back in place. I will order the actual correct bent spring soon as I'm not 100% happy with the way the bucket felt.
I did some mock ups to check the angle.

Then prepped and painted :

I brushed on rustoleum:

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 ·
I put everything together before paint, bent the spring about ten times and then painted 2 coats. After it was dry I added the new adjusters etc. I adjusted the headlights using high beam for now. I need to fix the loose wire on the foot switch. I think might be able to twist around and get to it soon. that and replace the front speaker.
So while I ben avoiding twisting my back to do that I decided to remove the rear bumper. rusted 48 year old bolts . I sprayed them with PB blast before I attempted to remove them. Good news is I was able use an impact, and hammer and reef on bolts etc. as needed without much pain. The stove bolts didn't hold, they and the square holes in the bumper gave away. Then the caps fell apart when I used vice grips. Normal issues. I got em all off eventually. I have a bunch of the correct SS bolts and HDWE laft over form the front bumper, and I think I know where I put them. I worked a few hours a day at a deliberate pace. not really any bad news… I had some help when it came to actually removing the old bumper.
Its bent and buckled in the middle which makes filling the tank a pain. I have new one to put on. I found the bumper bucket brackets bolts were loose. IDK why the bumper wasn't moving around. The bumper filler is wrinkled and dirty, I've ben cleaning it . I removed the buckets for Prep and paint. the PS is bent from the bumper being bent...this will be fun to align later. the underside of the car needs derust and rust proof. I have done from the front of the car to the axle. I'm contemplating removing the gas tank and knocking it all out , but I'm not up for a lot of overhead work just yet.
I plan on driving the car outside and washing up underneath but this weekend will be in the low 40s. I may just do it with a bucket etc in the garage.

Picture bumper removed

and from below... it needs some serous work. but the metal seems to be all there.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
Your 4 hours of WTF were beneficial knowledge for me so thank you sir I'll buy ya a beer as long as we stay 6 feet apart with masks. totally kidding about that last part haha but I really did not realize that about the springs nor did I know how tell the difference between the horns so that was a cool read for me!

I must have a book full of trivia I have learned in the last few years ! some of it useful......LOL

·
Registered
836 Posts
I must have a book full of trivia I have learned in the last few years ! some of it useful......LOL

Well I appreciate you and all the other guys who regularly update there threads as they go because I'm constantly learning things from them. Whether it be what not to do lol or what to do, what to look for, things to be cautious of or whatever, it's all beneficial for me.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I put everything together before paint, bent the spring about ten times and then painted 2 coats. After it was dry I added the new adjusters etc. I adjusted the headlights using high beam for now. I need to fix the loose wire on the foot switch. I think might be able to twist around and get to it soon. that and replace the front speaker.
So while I ben avoiding twisting my back to do that I decided to remove the rear bumper. rusted 48 year old bolts . I sprayed them with PB blast before I attempted to remove them. Good news is I was able use an impact, and hammer and reef on bolts etc. as needed without much pain. The stove bolts didn't hold, they and the square holes in the bumper gave away. Then the caps fell apart when I used vice grips. Normal issues. I got em all off eventually. I have a bunch of the correct SS bolts and HDWE laft over form the front bumper, and I think I know where I put them. I worked a few hours a day at a deliberate pace. not really any bad news… I had some help when it came to actually removing the old bumper.
Its bent and buckled in the middle which makes filling the tank a pain. I have new one to put on. I found the bumper bucket brackets bolts were loose. IDK why the bumper wasn't moving around. The bumper filler is wrinkled and dirty, I've ben cleaning it . I removed the buckets for Prep and paint. the PS is bent from the bumper being bent...this will be fun to align later. the underside of the car needs derust and rust proof. I have done from the front of the car to the axle. I'm contemplating removing the gas tank and knocking it all out , but I'm not up for a lot of overhead work just yet.
I plan on driving the car outside and washing up underneath but this weekend will be in the low 40s. I may just do it with a bucket etc in the garage.

Picture bumper removed
View attachment 416064

and from below... it needs some serous work. but the metal seems to be all there.

View attachment 416065
That passenger side frame rail in front of the bumper bracket...it looks like a good part of it is gone? May be an illusion from the pic?

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
I noticed that in the pic too... gotta check it out today... I cant imagine i would miss that......

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Its an illusion, the area that looks like a hole is where there isn't any salty looking corrosion....

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
Its an illusion, the area that looks like a hole is where there isn't any salty looking corrosion.... however, on the DS frame rail, it appears buckled a bit... IDK why as the bumper was pushed in on the PS..... Once I get it cleaned up Ill know more….. other than looking at this area I did not work on the car this past weekend. I did, however go shooting, observed my buddy's neighbor have fun with ammonium nitrates explosives , 4 times, 1 lb each. They shot the can with the charge in it at a safe distance. wicked cool. I also went trail riding on an ATV in the mud and ruts, and my back held up pretty good.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
Here's a picture of the area in question:

IMG-3726.jpg

I think the flakes up materiel is an old coating or surface peeling.
The other side is crinkles a bit:

Hard to capture in a picture but its there. The "bent" piece to the far left of my finger is the bumper bucket side support, and is supposed to have that bend in it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Looks like that undercoating is holding up pretty well in that one section. If you really wanted to do a miserable project, you could wire brush all the loose scale and coatings off that metal, apply the Eastwood rust converter and then coat it with the Rust encapsulator. I did a similar project recently and was pleased with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
Looks like that undercoating is holding up pretty well in that one section. If you really wanted to do a miserable project, you could wire brush all the loose scale and coatings off that metal, apply the Eastwood rust converter and then coat it with the Rust encapsulator. I did a similar project recently and was pleased with the results.

ezactly what I am planning on doing.
First: drive it out of the garage and wash the underneath, let dry put car back on lift, then coveralls and face shield, air tools and get all the surface rust etc. off I can. I'm glad I didn't give away my creeper, Im going to need it. I have some rust converter, encapsulater and undercoating. If I runout, Eastwood just opened a retail store that is on my way home from work.
Depending on how much time this takes I may still drop the gas tank and do that area and above the axle…. then the entire underneath of the car will be done. Or maybe Ill just drive the car for the summer....

·
Registered
591 Posts
ezactly what I am planning on doing.
First: drive it out of the garage and wash the underneath, let dry put car back on lift, then coveralls and face shield, air tools and get all the surface rust etc. off I can. I'm glad I didn't give away my creeper, Im going to need it. I have some rust converter, encapsulater and undercoating. If I runout, Eastwood just opened a retail store that is on my way home from work.
Depending on how much time this takes I may still drop the gas tank and do that area and above the axle…. then the entire underneath of the car will be done. Or maybe Ill just drive the car for the summer....
Plan “B” sounds pretty good!

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 · (Edited)
Last weekend my friend came over and helped me tackle a few things: first we replaced the 2 channel dash speaker. I think I fried the one I had ( new with the stereo) welding near it.... for those of you who haven't done this job, somehow the room under the dash shrunk since I was 17, its a PITA with or even without the seats in. We also found one wire on a male pin from the factory connections where the wire fell out when tugged on. I had checked and crimped every wire a bunch of times but didn't catch this. Oh well, the speaker is changed out and the wires are all good and the stereo sounds good. I thought about tackling the low beam circuit but had had enough spinal manipulation for one day.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 · (Edited)
we moved on to some upright work: prep and paint the bumper brackets. I had previously washed them with purple power and rinsed with water.
Saturday we used wire wheel on a drill, wire brushes and scratchy pads.
next I ran a tap through all the threaded holes. Then I washed with brake cleaner, then Eastwood pre paint prep.
Note, both brackets have a small notch cut into them, at first I thought it was metal fatigue, but when I found the same defect on the other one I think perhaps its a notch machined in to absorb energy / fail in an accident.

pic 2 the notch if just forward of the thumb

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #476 ·
Next I applied many light coats of east wood black rust encapsulater. 20 min apart. Sunday am I applied another light coat before I went to the Racetrack ( yee haaa!) and more on Sunday night when I returned . I am debating adding a coat of frame satin black. The underside of the car will be painted the same way so they aught to match: not that many will look, but I will know...lol.
came out pretty good, although I see after paint I could have removed more of the embedded corrosion/surface rust, and the pitting is more apparent:

pic two:

three:

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
next I plan on fitting the bumper/ brackets in case I need to adjust (beat and or bend) anything for it to fit. the bracket mounts on the car have oblong holes for adjusting the bumper. In my spare time I am working on cleaning up the bumper filler. although I will probably put the bumper on without it for now.
Not to forget and the low beam wiring issue. ...hopefully I have help with that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Looking good man .
I know what you mean about under the dash, I had no 8nterior in when I was doing it and it was still a PITA haha

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 ·
Looking good man .
I know what you mean about under the dash, I had no 8nterior in when I was doing it and it was still a PITA haha

no kidding..... I wasn't sure I could do it after my most recent lower back surgery.... my neck is also fused at C-5/6, but it wasn't so bad....Motrin helps, before during and after. When I was younger this stuff was no big deal.....

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
I worked on the car some last weekend. Here's what the rear seam looks like with the bumper off. I cleaned this up with scrappers, wire wheels and die grinder.

Left side:

Right side its bent and torn like the old bumper.

And here's an "after " photo of the area under the lip seam.

I will straighten up the lip seam and apply new seam sealer then paint. I'm also cleaning up the bolts that hold the bumper brackets on. I started working underneath... hmm Maybe it will wait until winter... I'm leaning towards finding a good stopping point and getting her on the road for the spring before its to hot ( No AC)…..

461 - 480 of 501 Posts