Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done a minitub on their 73-74 nova and customized the rear interior panels to match the wider wells? i have the old panels ( in bad shape) that i could use as a partial template but im trying to figure out the best way to modify them or make a mold (?) to make some new ones. I'd like some fresh ideas.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
How much wider? you can get away with 1" maybe 1.5" and still use the panels. Are you narrowing the rear? if not your only going to get a tire in as far as the springs will let you, the springs are tappered, i had 295/50's on my stock hatch for years, and they didnt stick out, but the lip was notched, you could also relocate your shocks inboard with a fabed cross member, i did that on a 78 i had or how bout after the mini tub just trim out the panels were it interfears and put some carpet to camo it all together? Hatchbacks can be a pain, good luck and post some pics when you get started.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well the minitub has already been done and i used DSE's tub's. i dont remember the exact difference once they were lined up. the rear has been narrowed and shocks moved inboard. im running 315/35/17's on a 17x11 rim. your idea about cutting out the areas and just carpeting over everything would work. i prefer them vinyl painted to match the other panels except these pieces are in BAD shape. i've found that glass beading works great on old sun-beaten plastic interior parts. but the panels are too big to put in the box :) so i may be stuck modifying these and "attempt" to make a mold. i'll keep poking around and post what i come up with when i finally attempt it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Too bad i just used my nice extra 73' black panels on my 74' , i had them forsale and nobody wanted them because they had a rear defrost. Just a FYI i just got a pair of black vented kick panels from the junk yard for $8 and the pass. one was weather beaten and looked bad, all i did was cleaned it and put a dusted on coat of gloss black and it looks like new, just an idea instead of glass bead.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
r u kidding me! black with the rear defrost?! man.. im an all options kinda guy i probably woulda bought those even if they didnt fit :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts