Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the front console mounting bracket for a 73 should attach on top of the carpet or should the carpet be cut around it? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
dksdust said:
I just removed one from a 73 in the salvage yard and it was on top of the carpet .
How many and what type of fasteners are used?
Are they sheet metal screws that go into the floor,all mine are missing as well and I've just picked up a console.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car has 2 sheet metal screws that attach directly into the floor. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
ddemaio said:
My car has 2 sheet metal screws that attach directly into the floor. Hope this helps.
It's more than I knew previously thanks

Paul

·
6,502 Posts
While I cannot comment on any other years other than the two 74's I have, the front brackets for the consoles are welded to the floor. It's possible they might have been screwed down on other years or from different plants and even on mine I could cut off the welds and drill holes in the bracket and be able to screw it down to the floor. If I was unsure if it might have been welded in at one point but now it's bolted on I would think there might be evidence of some welds at one point.

It's kinda hard to see in these photo's but the carpet was cut to fit around the shifter hole and the forward console bracket:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/91548112/1092700286049730488oauvHn#

http://community.webshots.com/photo/91548112/1092700226049730488KNmtzV#

http://community.webshots.com/photo/91548112/2394196790049730488OoSohM

I would also do a search. I think someone was doing some documentation on the consoles and mounting dimensions.

Jim

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Custom Jim said:
While I cannot comment on any other years other than the two 74's I have, the front brackets for the consoles are welded to the floor. It's possible they might have been screwed down on other years or from different plants and even on mine I could cut off the welds and drill holes in the bracket and be able to screw it down to the floor. If I was unsure if it might have been welded in at one point but now it's bolted on I would think there might be evidence of some welds at one point.

mine are welded on the 73. there are holes in the return leg at the end of each bracket (f&b) and screws go thru the console sides into these holes to hold the console in place. not the most secure but it works..............

·
14,584 Posts
console mount

I parted out a 73 ss several years ago. I took out the console mounts and the bucket seat mounts. The console mount was welded to the floor. If you stop and think about it, what good would it do to have the mount on top of the carpet? There would be no point in having it there as it would just be floating. The mounts in the car I parted were spot welded on each side to the floor and the carpet was cut around the bracket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts