Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post this here becuse 69-72 disc's off a chevelle are a popular swap for 1 st gen nova's also some exchangeability to 3rd gen nova's . I parted out a 72 chevelle. put the disc set up on my 71 chevelle when I whent to napa to get rebuilt calipers we found they where 73 to 78 ? chevelle. the spread of the caliper bolts where wider looked way diferent. all spindals caliper brackets are all in my 71 chevelle with my rebuilt fron end , all looks good . has anyone used these parts for a disc converion on a first gen nova? or in a chevelle, I am wondering about track width ...ball joints ... might be somthing no one knew to rob parts off of for ?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Many people have used the 73 type spindles on the older A body cars like your 71 chevelle and this is commonly referred to as the tall spindle conversion. These cast spindles do not have a bolt on steering arm and can only be used with the front steer design. The 74 and older novas all used a rear steer design so the later spindles won't work. I also think some of the circle track parts suppliers have offered disc brack caliper brackets that allow the later and larger calipers to work on the older style spindles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many people have used the 73 type spindles on the older A body cars like your 71 chevelle and this is commonly referred to as the tall spindle conversion. These cast spindles do not have a bolt on steering arm and can only be used with the front steer design. The 74 and older novas all used a rear steer design so the later spindles won't work. I also think some of the circle track parts suppliers have offered disc brack caliper brackets that allow the later and larger calipers to work on the older style spindles.
the steering arms on this set up where a bolt on , looked just the same as the 71 drum one's . I wonder if they just used the newer caliper bracket and caliper ?? Now I am really confused lol . every thing looked stock on the parts car when I tore it down.???? the parts car was a 72 wonder if it was a late model and maybe got some 73 parts but this is not all making sence to me yet. and being a gear head that bugs me lol

Thanks for the input Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts