Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a 73-74 nova hatchback defroster, i'd like to see a pic of it installed in the car if anyone has one. im considering the stick on type 12volt lines BUT my rear window is GOING to be tinted. i see a bunch of old cars with this where the tint has bubbled up from the heat of those lines... im sure there is no way to prevent this over time so i've been drawn away from the idea. any thoughts or pictures? thanks!

·
6,497 Posts
I installed many a universal stick on type grid type rear defrosters back in the late 70's and 80's.
The grid was cut nice and square on the edges and no matter what there were always thin lines visible on the tint from the edge of the defroster grid to where it transitioned back to the glass as the grid layed on top of the glass and has some thickness to it. There is just no way to get the tint flexible enough to close this gap.
From what I remember too is the grid defrosters I installed with window tint over them never had bubbling problem but I never kept track of them for years down the road.
I have seen cars on the road without defroster grids on them with all kinds of visible bubbles and I have to think these cars either used a very cheap tint, the glass was not cleaned properly, or it was not installed properly by squeezing out all of the water/soap solution used to float it into position.

A problem I see with the grid type defroster is how well will it stick to the very best cleaned glass long term down the road, how the wiring will be routed fron the hinged hatchlid to the body of the car, what type of thermostat do they use to limit how hot the grid gets, and how it would look installed onto the car.

The 73 and up factory designed hatchback defrosters used a blower motor with a fan and some grills to direct air towards the rear glass and these systems mounted into the drivers side quarter panel side plastic panel. If you go with one of these the backside of the 73 and 74 plastic panels are already marked for where the plastic needs to be cut out for mounting them. You might want to look at one of these setups.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts