Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched and most of the images are broken or the conversion was done with a regular 2door non hatch nova.
The hatchbacks have smaller rear glass so i am curious as to how the rear end looks with the 68-72 tail panel and bumper

If anybody has done the conversion on a hatchback i’d like to see it.
I currently need to replace my rear end sheet metal so just waging my options

Again, curious about hatchback conversions but if you did a regular coupe post it up too

·
6,585 Posts
Sadly a lot of pictures are gone but if you do some reading as far as changing to a 68-72 tail panel, you may expose yourself to the work involved.
A big thing is that the filler neck is in a different location and due to the gas tanks being different between the 68-72 and the 73-up and it's just not a simple thing of taking out yours and bolting in the older style.
Another issue to may be the work involved changing the bumper in the rear as far as bracketry and then how would that one look being tucked in and narrower than the front?.
I don't know how well you are with programs like paintshop but one could get a good back view of a 68-72 and then shrink the window opening and add in the gaps around the window frame and maybe get an idea as to the looks.
Years ago I saw a Chevelle with a Nova hatchlid on it and it really didn't look that bad but to each their own.

Jim

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly a lot of pictures are gone but if you do some reading as far as changing to a 68-72 tail panel, you may expose yourself to the work involved.
A big thing is that the filler neck is in a different location and due to the gas tanks being different between the 68-72 and the 73-up and it's just not a simple thing of taking out yours and bolting in the older style.
Another issue to may be the work involved changing the bumper in the rear as far as bracketry and then how would that one look being tucked in and narrower than the front?.
I don't know how well you are with programs like paintshop but one could get a good back view of a 68-72 and then shrink the window opening and add in the gaps around the window frame and maybe get an idea as to the looks.
Years ago I saw a Chevelle with a Nova hatchlid on it and it really didn't look that bad but to each their own.

Jim
I appreciate the advice. I am well aware of the work needed to do this, i need a trunk,gas tank, strap, tail panel etc already just finding the way to lean towards. Knowing 73-74 trunks are not reproduced swapping to a 70 rear end style is a tempting choice for ease of availability

Would have liked to find an actual example but i wil find somebody to edit a picture for me. Ill post it up if i manage to get it done

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another option I've thought of for my car and seen on a couple cars, is to retain the 73-74 tail lights, but replace the middle section where the license plate is with the flat section of the early cars. Then to avoid moving the gas tank, putting a filler neck/cap onto the flat section. Then the license plate is moved to the earlier bumper.

The result looks something like this, but with a gas cap in the middle of the tail panel. I believe Custom Jim did something like this, using a challenger gas cap.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know who's this is but I saved a few photo's for some reason:

Who's to say but it looks like there might be some bumper modifications to get it to fit right and the above looks like he is also trying to retain the false floor with the standoff supports welded into the new floor.

Jim
This gives me a good idea of how it will look like on a hatchback thank you. Below is a picture of the same thing done to a coupe
Another option I've thought of for my car and seen on a couple cars, is to retain the 73-74 tail lights, but replace the middle section where the license plate is with the flat section of the early cars. Then to avoid moving the gas tank, putting a filler neck/cap onto the flat section. Then the license plate is moved to the earlier bumper.

The result looks something like this, but with a gas cap in the middle of the tail panel. I believe Custom Jim did something like this, using a challenger gas cap.

This was done by somebody before and ended up on ebay, ive attached some of the pictures i saved. Looks fairly clean if the correct cap is used

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm doing this same modification on my 73. Keeping the 73 tail lamps but changing the bumper to the older style. For the gas cap I bought the 67-68 Camaro filler cap kit from Ridetech. I believe it's a precision coachworks part.
The original rear tail panel can be trimmed to accept the older bumper which bolts on with factory brackets. Not sure about 74s with the shock mount holes. The 73 fuel neck can be cut down to clamp on the rubber fuel hose included in the Ridetech fuel cap kit. Good luck and post some pics!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm doing this same modification on my 73. Keeping the 73 tail lamps but changing the bumper to the older style. For the gas cap I bought the 67-68 Camaro filler cap kit from Ridetech. I believe it's a precision coachworks part.
The original rear tail panel can be trimmed to accept the older bumper which bolts on with factory brackets. Not sure about 74s with the shock mount holes. The 73 fuel neck can be cut down to clamp on the rubber fuel hose included in the Ridetech fuel cap kit. Good luck and post some pics!
Got some pics of this yourself?

I found someone who was kind enough to chopa quick photoshop up for me on some cars i found on the internet. It doesnt look terrible

Attachments

·
6,585 Posts
I believe Custom Jim did something using a challenger gas cap.
Yes, years ago I sectioned the bumpers front and rear to get them closer to the body and also narrowed them. I did use an old Charger cap when you could find these types of cars and parts all day long in the salvage yards.

Jim

·
Registered
250 Posts
If your car is a 74 you will have to either figure out a way to re drill a few of the holes for the 72 bumper brackets, or only use the 2 outside sets of holes if I remember correctly. My buddy, and I just went through this on his 74. Will post a pic if I make it to the shop today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts