Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
72Nova350 - 1972 Nova Street Build

72Nova350 - 1972 Nova

Year: 1972

Model: Nova

Engine: 350 Small Block

Body/Exterior: Hugger Orange (Previously Cranberry Red), Goodmark 2" Cowl Hood, 69 Camaro front spoiler

Front End: Hotchkis 2" Coil Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 1-1/8" Sway Bar , Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes

Transmission: Automatic TH350 w/ Summit Racing 10 in. Stall (2400-2600)

Rear End: 10 Bolt with an Eaton Posi, 3.73 Gears, Disc Brake Conversion, Hotchkis 1.5" Drop Leaf Springs and Bilstein Shocks

Exhaust: Summit Racing Ceramic Coated 1 5/8 Headers to 2.5" Dual Flowmaster 40 Series w/ H-Pipe

Wheels/Tires: 17x8 American Racing Torq Thrust II Wheels
Front: 4.75 Backspacing 245/45/17 Tires
Rear: 5.5 Backspacing 275/40/17 Tires

Interior: Bucket seats, 1969 Camaro center console, Autometer Gauges

Electrical: Optima RedTop Battery, Electric Fan, LED Taillights

Sound system: Custom Autosound USA-230 Stereo, Custom Autosound Dual Voice Coil Speakers

Additional Comments: I purchased the car while on deployment in 2010 from the original family.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It was originally meant to be a budget vortec build, but with the added max lift and weight difference, the choice was made to go aluminum heads. I decided to go around this engine based on this article by Super Chevy: http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/cams_heads_valvetrain/sucp_0604_chevy_engine_performance/ The dyno for the 307 in the article uses a smaller carb, intake manifold and cam than I did, and it produced over 300hp. Mine sounds mean, and gets on it nicely. I would assume mine is at least a mid-300 horsepower engine. Here's the details on it:

Stock 4 bolt main 350 Short Block (Everything was blown apart, cleaned and checked good. Block was tanked and honed)
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Flat Tappet 274/286, .487/.490 Cam and Lifters
Comp Cams Magnum 1.52 Roller Tip Rockers and Pushrods
Edelbrock E-tec 64cc/170cc Assembled Aluminum Heads (Edelbrock says compression is 9.5:1 with stock pistons)
ARP Head Bolts
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Vortec Intake Manifold
Edelbrock 750 Electric choke Carburetor

I've seen a lot of articles and questions about budget vortec builds, so I just decided to give it a try. In my opinion, it's great! Rough estimate on total cost is around $2,000.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice looking ride!!!

Did you have to do anything to the rear end to fit the 285/40/17 tires?

Patrick
Patrick,

The wheel wells and rear end length is stock. I have a little rubbing issue on my exhaust and inside wheel well under cornering, which is why I'm upgrading my suspension to Hotchkis stuff and will be going down to a 275/40. Here is a picture of the inside. Here is a picture of how close it is inside:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Patrick,

The wheel wells and rear end length is stock. I have a little rubbing issue on my exhaust and inside wheel well under cornering, which is why I'm upgrading my suspension to Hotchkis stuff and will be going down to a 275/40. Here is a picture of the inside.
So do you think 4.5 BS would work better?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So do you think 4.5 BS would work better?
I had my front 17x8 with 4.75 backspacing 245/45 on before, and i never had a problem with them. 5 inch might be the perfect, but I dont know if they make it with that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well today I decided to install my new Hotchkis 1.5 drop leaf springs and rear Bilstein shocks. My car came with the stock mono leaf springs and KYB Gas-a-just's. I measured my car before and after from the ground to the center of the wheel well lip, and it stayed almost exactly the same. 23 inches. Everything fit nicely and went very smoothly. Here are some pics:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
lookin good, im plannin on using hotchkis on my 69, i used there tvs kit on my old 70 and it worked out great.

looks like hideing a few good lookin mopars as well:yes:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lookin good, im plannin on using hotchkis on my 69, i used there tvs kit on my old 70 and it worked out great.

looks like hideing a few good lookin mopars as well:yes:
Everyone in my immediate family is into Mopars. I would be too if the parts weren't 3x as much as a chevy. They don't have anything special, but here's a couple shots.

1967 Barracuda

1967 Belvedere

Two 440 Coronets

1965 Dart

1965 Barracuda with 66,000 original miles my grandfather bought brand new

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Installed Hotchkis 2 inch lowering springs and front Bilstein shocks today. Wish I had went with the 3 inch ones available. My car had the original coils cut before, and measured 24 inches from ground to center of wheel lip with a 245/45 tire. Now it measures just over 25 inches. I don't think it's going to settle as much as I would like it to, so when I go back to install my front sway bar, I'll be cutting a coil out to drop it a little more.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts