Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To avoid reinventing the proverbial wheel, do any of you know if the high back buckets we grabbed out of a '72 Vega GT at U Pull It are the same as the high backs they put into our Novas?

These are in real good shape, need to be recovered. If it weren't so hot we'd go pull the bench seat out and do a trial run to see if they fit.

Thanks,
Mike and Zach

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
The seats are the same, I think the tracks might be different. You can always make them work. I have 71 camaro seats in my 78

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tracks and mounting brackets for original. Much has been written here on the issue of how to do it right, which of course I admire.

Yet, I am loath to admit, my 76 Concours has buckets seats from a same Nova with the factory tracks bolted directly to the floor with pass thru bolts and washers (the 2 rear bolts go straight through the floor reinforcement rail), and Ive been driving the car thus for 17 years without damage, vibration, loosening or any risky behavior or situation. Plus they look and work like original, only sit about an inch lower and 2 inches backward (not a bad thing in my case). I am tall and do feel more comfortable than in my original factory bucket seat 77.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. It's good to know the '71 seats went into your '78, 1977Chad350.

My son is very tall (6'10") so we think these seats will be much more comfortable for him than the lowback bench seat is.

What we probably need to do is pull the bench seat out and simply see what it looks like it'll take to bolt the high backs up, make any necessary modifications, then get the seats recovered.

Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bloody hell, 6 foot 10??? He can sit and drive from the rear seat.

I have a set of 87 s-10 blazer, 03 sunfire, and just got a set of 95 camaro buckets all modded to fit in my blazer and nova. Lucky they both have tan interriors so I swap back and forth when I get sick of one in the other. Heck if the nova bench wasn't so wide I might try it in the blazer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, he is just a little guy. He's 17 now, hopefully done growing. He was 10 pounds, 14 ounces and 24" long when he was born. So he was 2 feet tall when he was born!

The original owner was almost as tall as my son but weighed about 350 pounds. When I got the car, the bench seat back was bent so far back I had to use the wheel to hold myself up. I got into the back seat and bent the seat frame back up into position with my feet/legs so I could drive it.

He has the seat back as far as it goes and has pretty good leg room. We may need to look at relocating the driver's seat back some when we put the buckets in. We'll just have to look at how much leg room he has when the seat is bolted into the stock position.

The original owner is also the reason the tilt steering wheel is broken beyond repair. He used the wheel to pull himself up into position. He also used the top of the door frame to pull the door shut rather than using the handle, thus breaking the weld on the door frame where it attaches to the door. We had to have that welded up before painting the car.

It's a nice little car. I'm getting closer to being able to post some pictures. :)

Mike

·
Registered
582 Posts
Rick's Camaros has rearward seat relocators but they are hideously expensive and can be easily fabricated at home. I suggest relocating slightly like i did in my Concours, just bolt tight and use washers. Plus a tilt. There are used or rebuilt tilt columns on Ebay from time to time, or rebuilt ones at thepartsplaceinc.com.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts