Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing body mount bushings and my nova did not have the subframe when I bought it. I have seen on here that there is a thick washer that goes on the bushings. Can someone tell me the thickness of these washers? Also, do they go on all 4 body mounts and rad support?

Thanks,

Tony

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,313 Posts
Go to my link below, go to page 5 I posted the info. They are only used at the firewall mounts.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Thanks a lot.
Mark / 67Bowtie = My question is : are those "washers" used on the 1st - 2nd gens ?

I kinda thought that they (front sub-frame bushing & washers) - - - were a 3rd gen thing . . . . . just asking ?

jim

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,313 Posts
Mark / 67Bowtie = My question is : are those "washers" used on the 1st - 2nd gens ?

I kinda thought that they (front sub-frame bushing & washers) - - - were a 3rd gen thing . . . . . just asking ?

jim
Jim, thank you for that. I made an assumption with out paying attention to the year of 67Bowtie2's ride. It is a 3rd gen thing. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Mark . . . I do that all th' time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

make assumptions . . . . . . . . . no problem .

Reactions: J Mark

·
6,497 Posts
Does anyone know why the thick spacers were used?
I kinda wonder if the bushing was used in other applications to where the added thick washer was not used in an application or a spacer of a different thickness was used in a combination for yet anther application. I don't have an original part number but one could see if the rubber bushing was used in something else.

I do know years ago I bought bushings from a company and they "said" they would work on my 74 only to find out I needed to add a 1/2" thick spacer with their bushings. Luckily I had kept the original bushings and they were taller by 1/2" than the replacements. Without the spacers, the front end of the frame is up too high and then the fenders do not hang properly as well as creating other issues like distributor to firewall clearance.

I wonder too that from what I have read, GM had the frame and firewall designed way before the 68 Nova's came out and when they were rushing to market the 67 Camaro, that they used the subframe and firewall already designed for the 68 Nova and put it in the 67 Camaro.

Maybe too someone had a brain fart and missed a spec and they already had 20,000 bushings in stock and a cheap added spacer was an easy work around.

Jim

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,028 Posts
Maybe it was as simple as less pieces at the factory: one fat bushing vice a bushing and two washers. Probably saves time and money, less parts to buy and stock, less steps in production.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts