Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a new thread to show the progress on my 72 roof skin replacement. I originally ran into a problem with the repop roof skin not sitting down into the drip rails properly. After following the advice from Tacocaster (thanks again) I had to work on the drip rail itself down in the valley and where the drip rail was welded to the inner structure of the roof skin support. There is a curvature/radius that follows the inner structure down into the drip rail flat. before it drops off into the drip rail valley, there was another small (1/8 or so) flat that the new roof skin was hanging up on. After grinding that to match the curvature of the drip rail panel evenly on both driver and passenger side, I was able to push/pull/muscle the roof skin down far enough to allow the skin to sit flat down in the drip rail valley. I clamped the entire roof skin down and drilled a few holes for cleco clamps and now I can remove the new skin without loosing my placement of where I want it to fit. After taking the new skin back off I starting repairing all the minor damage caused from fitting the skin 10 different times. while I was working on it I came across something worth pointing out. I found a hand full of spots on this NEW Goodmark roof skin that had little rust bubbles. I was already going to sand all of the coating off and epoxy primer the top anyways, but now I plan on doing the underside of the new skin too. Just wanted to point that out to anyone that leaves the EDP coating on these new panels. I didn't notice the bubbles the first few times while I was working on the skin.

One last thing. Ill admit when I screw up. Its something to learn from. After throwing the new skin on for the first time and without clamping it down, I did a once over and determined everything looked good. That is clearly not the way to do things. I ended up punching holes for plug welds all the way around the new skin thinking I was good to go. Well after fitting the skin 9 more times, modifying the drip rail panel, and finally getting it in the location I want, I noticed the holes I punched are located to low on the new skin where the glass sits (front and back) and doesn't overlap the inner panels. I ended up having to weld up all the holes on the front and back of the roof skin where the glass sits 馃槚 Lesson learned.

Attachments

Registered
Hey TMcGee, thanks for the update. Your findings, admissions and progress is how we all learn and including the photos was great. They'll help another down the road. This is where Twinshadows comes in and says NPHNP.

Good to see you not a quitter when it gets tough. Keep up the excellent work and ...if you have a question....that's what we're all here for - NPHNP.

Registered
You're a brave man for tackling that kind of bodywork, not to mention very talented! Very interesting reading and looking at your pictures. Great job on both. I'm sure many will benefit from your experience in the future. Keep up the great progress reports!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
You're a brave man for tackling that kind of bodywork, not to mention very talented! Very interesting reading and looking at your pictures. Great job on both. I'm sure many will benefit from your experience in the future. Keep up the great progress reports!!
Thank you. I'll continue to update as I go.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hey TMcGee, thanks for the update. Your findings, admissions and progress is how we all learn and including the photos was great. They'll help another down the road. This is where Twinshadows comes in and says NPHNP.

Good to see you not a quitter when it gets tough. Keep up the excellent work and ...if you have a question....that's what we're all here for - NPHNP.
I appreciate it! A little help here and there never hurt nobody! The end product keeps me going!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to tackle the rear deck panel and filler panel next. I have not welded anything in place as i am still prepping everything i can get to while the panels are out. Once a coating or two of rust encapsulator is applied, i will work on clamping the roof skin, deck and filler panel in place so i can set the glass in for a fitment test.

Attachments

Registered
The deck panel new vs. old sure looks good. Nothing better than pulling that rust out of there.
Nice clean work, TMcGee, well done!
Appreciate the photos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts