Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks again to Nova Thug for his incisive advice thus far!

I'm lowering my 72 Nova 2" front/1.5" rear. I will cut the existing springs to lower the front and will most likely get the Hotchkis 1.5" lowering rear leaf spring kit, but may have the springs de-arched.

Now....I want to replace the front and rear shocks. Based on Nova Thug's recommendations and my research KYB seems to be a decent shock option; however, I can't seem to find them other than stock height. I was looking at the "gas-a-just" shocks.

QUESTION: Can I use stock height shocks in my situation or do I need to find "lowered" shocks? If lowered shocks are necessary what inexpensive, but decent, shocks are available? I couldn't find KYB lowered shocks ... but maybe I just didn't look hard enough?

As always, any and all input is greatly appreciated! :yes:

Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
Might I suggest not cutting the front coils? Maybe go with drop spindles to lower it? That way you can use stock height shocks and not fight the alignment battle that results from cut springs.

The rear...I have no experience in lowering.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Might I suggest not cutting the front coils? Maybe go with drop spindles to lower it? That way you can use stock height shocks and not fight the alignment battle that results from cut springs.

The rear...I have no experience in lowering.
I was looking at that but drop spindles that I found were @ $250 +. What drop spindles did you use? I may be able to make this work, especially if I don't have to replace my front springs.

Registered
If you are going the spindle route go with a tall 2" drop spindle. Tall spindles address the factory geometry issues improving negative camber gain by pushing the upper control arm up from the normal stock spindle ride height. This allows the tire to have a flatter contact patch under cornering. Usually requires upper control arms that complement and complete the conversion.

Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
I was looking at that but drop spindles that I found were @ $250 +. What drop spindles did you use? I may be able to make this work, especially if I don't have to replace my front springs.

I have never used drop spindles, but I have cut coils to get 'the look' but the resultant alignment/driveability issues made me regret going that route. This was on a 68 C10 pickup, not a Nova, and I later sold the truck (with the cut coils) to a guy that put a hot 454 in it and drag-raced it...so the coils were not that much of a concern to him.

Front-end geometry needs to be as close to GM spec as possible if you are intending to have a nice driving interstate cruiser. If your goal is a track-only car, then the original geometry can be ignored in favor of more/less caster/camber to suit the driving conditions.

Registered

When I did the front disc conversion on my car, I used The Right Stuff Detailing's kit with 2" drop spindles. With an iron-headed small block and 6 cylinder springs, the car sits just about perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts