Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first car (im 14) i picked it up for $2000. I'm extremely excited to spend the next year or two fixing it up. My dad offered to help some but i wanted to do as much of this as i could. It needs a new rear quarter panel drivers side. Part of a new front quarter panel passengers side. For those i have the metal i just need advice and tips for welding and stuff. Also the drivers side floorboards are rotting so they need replaced. The rear shock mount is also rotting. I'm going to be doing as much research as i can but any help i get will be greatly appreciated. I know about the disk brake conversion kit no need to tell me that one but anything else would be awesome..thanks guys.

P.S here is a link of pics of the car that i took..

HTML:
http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv132/Captnova72/

·
Registered
309 Posts
looks good, just some advice, don't be afraid to spend the money to do something right the first time, because it will cost more to do it over again.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Looks like a nice car to build up dude. I got my nova when i was 14 too :D

Just don't jump in it too much. enjoy it as much as you can and work on it on the sides. (keep it a driver)

·
3,874 Posts
My pleasure. Looks like a fun project to learn a bunch of skills with. At least that's how I look at my projects, always an excuse to buy a new tool and learn how to use it.:D:D

Here's the skinny on posting pictures, ignore the Photobucket picture loading as you already have that part down:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27716

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Glad to see young folk still interested in these cool old cars!! My Son spent some quality time building his Nova from the age of 14-17 and it changed his life. He met the Girl of his dreams at the first car show he entered and he learned that persistance and hard work pay off. Many memories were made during that build and he learned skills that will help him through the rest of his life. Later today the both of us will be cruizing out to a car show about 75 miles away-him in his 70SS and me in my blown 72-it couldn't get any better IMO.

I wish you all the luck in the world on that project! Take your time and plan it well so you can break the job down into smaller jobs. The rewards will be well worth the effort. Check out my Son's journey here:http://community.webshots.com/album/117226417GuAuSn?495

If I can help you in any way-let me know. There's a good group here on this forum to help steer you right. And always remember the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked-we all started somewhere. Bob

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice first project. Im doing a 69 chev pick up and am 18. Feels good knowing you did that on your own. I would like to find a 69ish nova to go along side my pickup.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Looks like a good project. I got my 62 nova when I was 14 and am still in the process of working on it (im now 15).Also as some of the guys have said take your time and it will pay off in the end dont skimp on anything and do it the way you want not what other people think it should look like. You own it you make the decisions:yes:. Heres some pics of my dads 72 for some ideas

Heres some pics of my project Ive done most except the welding on it

Start

and heres where im at now

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks like a great start! The best advice I can give you with being young and probably on a budget is to stick with it and don't get discouraged. I have owned a bunch of old Chevy's and have become overwhelmed and moved from project to project and 8 years later I still don't have one done. I finally realized that riding it out is the way to go. I could have been on the road with my first 64 5 years ago if I had just kept at it instead of trying to find something better. Good luck and if you need advice or help i'll see what I can do. Maybe we can meet up at a show in the future. I am over near Deland

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Welcome to the site. Nice project you have there. Just keep plugging along and before you know it, it will be comming along just fine. Does it run?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It runs well...but 4 of the spark plugs aren't firing so we cleaned them and checked the timing. Just have to get new plugs. Recently i installed a new water pump (that was a bear). now i need to replace my alternator because it squeaks when it hits higher rpms. That was originally why i replaced the water pump. I probably wont see you beings that i live in PA...many miles away from florida

I was wondering what size engine i have...the guy that we bought it from said it was a 350 but it doesn't seem like it because isn't that on the SS version? He probably thought so because the owner before him was a Chevy mechanic.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts