Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am looking to upgrade my 72 to power steering and power brakes and have a few questions.

First for the PS is I received a deal on a borgeson power steering box from Ridetech and would like to complete the kit, however I am unsure of all the parts I need to get. Would it be better to just get a full kit? Can I get a kit without the box?

Also for the power brakes I will need an additional vacuum pump. Are there any recommendations on which one to get? I am unfamiliar on what the options are but I want to go with electric and well built.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I used the parts below. I also had the hoses custom made with an fittings and steel braided lines, cost me about $80. I did need a new crank pulley too since my car was not originally power steering, need a larger diameter second belt groove. Since my car was not PS originally I went with the metric pump since it puts out higher pressure without modification like the old saginaw pumps.

Steering Box Cardone 27-6550 Advance Auto
Pump Atsco 6306 Rock Auto
Pump Pulley Dorman 300122 Rock Auto
Pump Cap Dorman 82581 Rock Auto
Rag Joint Lares 200 Rock Auto
Pitman Arm Moog K6582 Rock Auto
PS Pump Bracket March 20166 March website

PM me if you have questions. It is a pretty easy swap.

For the brakes just get a kit, way easier. i went with Classic Performance and was impressed.

Nick

·
Registered
406 Posts
That steering box is cheap! Did it limit your turning radius at all? I hear the Camaro boxes have less sweep than the nova ones. Im looking at adding power steering to my 64 nova and want a 2.5 turn lock to lock box.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
That steering box is cheap! Did it limit your turning radius at all?.
I also used the Cardone Steering Box (Part #27-6550) purchased from Advance Auto when I upgraded from my original "variable ratio" power steering box that was originally in my Nova. This steering box is even cheaper when you use one of the online Advance Auto coupons!

The Cardone #27-6550 is approx 2.5 turns "lock to lock" box with a total sweep of 71°. When this Cardone steering box is installed into a 3rg gen Nova (68 to 74), the stock steering spindles will hit the lower control arm stops before you reach the full sweep of this box (as long as you are using all of the other correct steering linkage components and the steering box is in the center of the sweep when connected). The Cardone box did not change or limit the turn radius.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I also used the Cardone Steering Box (Part #27-6550) purchased from Advance Auto when I upgraded from my original "variable ratio" power steering box that was originally in my Nova. This steering box is even cheaper when you use one of the online Advance Auto coupons!

The Cardone #27-6550 is approx 2.5 turns "lock to lock" box with a total sweep of 71°. When this Cardone steering box is installed into a 3rg gen Nova (68 to 74), the stock steering spindles will hit the lower control arm stops before you reach the full sweep of this box (as long as you are using all of the other correct steering linkage components and the steering box is in the center of the sweep when connected). The Cardone box did not change or limit the turn radius.
That's great to hear! I wonder if it will work on a 1st Gen (I don't see why not). I might have to give this a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I used the parts below. I also had the hoses custom made with an fittings and steel braided lines, cost me about $80. I did need a new crank pulley too since my car was not originally power steering, need a larger diameter second belt groove. Since my car was not PS originally I went with the metric pump since it puts out higher pressure without modification like the old saginaw pumps.

Steering Box Cardone 27-6550 Advance Auto
Pump Atsco 6306 Rock Auto
Pump Pulley Dorman 300122 Rock Auto
Pump Cap Dorman 82581 Rock Auto
Rag Joint Lares 200 Rock Auto
Pitman Arm Moog K6582 Rock Auto
PS Pump Bracket March 20166 March website

PM me if you have questions. It is a pretty easy swap.

For the brakes just get a kit, way easier. i went with Classic Performance and was impressed.

Nick
I'm about to do this conversion once my steering gear box get in this week. Where did you get the hoses made? I've got a serpentine setup now so I'm hoping my power steering pump will work for the swap but I have no idea how to tell and I didn't see any markings on it to verify what pump I have.

Any pics of your new setup/hoses?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm about to do this conversion once my steering gear box get in this week. Where did you get the hoses made? I've got a serpentine setup now so I'm hoping my power steering pump will work for the swap but I have no idea how to tell and I didn't see any markings on it to verify what pump I have.

I had the hoses made by a guy I found at the local auto swap meet, unfortunately I dont have his card anymore. He did an awesome job, even clocked the fittings at the correct angle and everything. It has been a while since I did it, but if I remember the later metric box has the return line come out at a 90 degree turn, and the earlier lower pressure box sweeps more towards the front of the pump almost making a U. I purchased AN adapters so i could run AN fittings on my hoses. It has been 3 years since I did the conversion so the details are pretty fuzzy and of course I deleted all the websites I referenced... PM me if you have questions, I might be able to provide some info. I dont remember how to add photos to these threads, I can email some if needed.

·
Registered
406 Posts

My local Napa can make power steering hoses. That's my plan when I convert to power steering

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had the hoses made by a guy I found at the local auto swap meet, unfortunately I dont have his card anymore. He did an awesome job, even clocked the fittings at the correct angle and everything. It has been a while since I did it, but if I remember the later metric box has the return line come out at a 90 degree turn, and the earlier lower pressure box sweeps more towards the front of the pump almost making a U. I purchased AN adapters so i could run AN fittings on my hoses. It has been 3 years since I did the conversion so the details are pretty fuzzy and of course I deleted all the websites I referenced... PM me if you have questions, I might be able to provide some info. I dont remember how to add photos to these threads, I can email some if needed.
Thanks for responding. Did you get the hoses made with the -an fittings or did you just use -an adapters to have the hose fit? I'll PM you for pics.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks for responding. Did you get the hoses made with the -an fittings or did you just use -an adapters to have the hose fit? I'll PM you for pics.
Hoses were made with AN fittings at each end, then used adapters on the pump and box for them to attach to...I think. I know this is true on the box, I am 90% sure for the pump....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts