Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost I would like to thank anyone who views this post and has posted to this site in the past. I just joined the site and I have found a TON of useful information on here.

I am having troubles finding any information on these inner panels. I cant find where anyone has replaced or fabricated new ones or even sections/pieces of them. As you can tell from the pics below the support fender/panel/frame(?) under the quarter panel rear window rails are gone on the passenger side and have barely survived on the driver side. Does anyone know if these are reproduced or will I have to attempt to fab new ones? what exactly is the name of this panel?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
you can look at Mark's 72 build - - - - he did replace some "rear window - glass - channels"

plus, just read through his build , a lot of great info

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
May be go over here and look :

They may have those inner panels - - - - - or - - - - - know where to get them , sure worth a phone call .

I hope this may help - - - - (y)

and, WELCOME to SNS

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can look at Mark's 72 build - - - - he did replace some "rear window - glass - channels"

Very informative. I will be referencing his posts in the future.

I see he rebuilt the channel that the glass sits on. I purchased new quarters for both sides so I will have new channels. What I am trying to fix/fab/buy is the panel/support frame that is underneath the glass channel. Its the section that you weld the quarter panel glass channel down to.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Very informative. I will be referencing his posts in the future.

I see he rebuilt the channel that the glass sits on. I purchased new quarters for both sides so I will have new channels. What I am trying to fix/fab/buy is the panel/support frame that is underneath the glass channel. Its the section that you weld the quarter panel glass channel down to.

·
Registered
423 Posts
TMcGee, look-up Belden Speed & Engineering then on the left hand side of their page select the 1968-19724 GM X-Body link. They might have what your looking for and then some.

Welcome to SNS!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I searched Belden Speed and everything online shows the outer gutter which is part of the quarter panel. The new quarters that I purchased already have that channel. I will give them a call and see if they make/have the support rail that goes underneath the "Rear window glass channel". I very well could be wording this wrong. If you removed the quarter panels, there is a frame/panel that is behind the quarter. It is welded to the roof skin support frames and also the rest of " skeleton" of the car. I'm surprised I cant find anyone repairing or replacing this section. Are people just installing new quarters with no inner panel frame support holding the glass channel up? Thank you guys for the quick replies.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Just so you know - - - I Did see your " Red Lines" , but Post # 5 is a better shot of what you need = if other people check-in .

just shows better - - - that the "under channel" is what you are talking about. . . . . . . . jim

Reactions: TMcGee72

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Wow - - that is really gone (n) .

I still would like too have my SOA back . A 250 ci motor, P/S , P/B , Th350 car.

jim

·
6,502 Posts
Wow - - that is really gone (n) .

I still would like too have my SOA back . A 250 ci motor, P/S , P/B , Th350 car.

jim
I did save the motor and front end frame as well as the hatch opening metal for possible use on another year or style of car as well as almost all of the interior parts.. I pretty much got rid of the doors which were rotted on the bottom, the fenders which had rot and the quarters also. I had the floor saved but at a buddies bodyshop and someone didn't know what it was and a metal guy took it and I didn;t get to remove things like the bucket seat brackets nor the floor shifter bumpout. At least the one from Texas I have did not need those things.

Not seen in the photo was I also cut the rear hatch floor out, took welds apart to where I had just the floor metal and then used a big section in the one I still have. Yep,I didn't like cutting the donor car up but it gave me a LOT for the one I still have. With the SOA's some of the hard to find parts are even harder to find today. Luckily I bought what I could at the time and some things I will probably never see new again or in good enough shape to reuse.. I'm just happy that someone reproduced the eagle center caps, They are not exactly like original BUT they are not sun faded.

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same problem with my 68 I can’t find a part anywhere
I searched and called with no prevail. I came to the conclusion that I'm going to fab in sections. After cutting out my rear deck panel (package tray panel) I have enough good left over metal that has bends and curves in it that I will be able to weld pieces together to repair what needs to be replaced. That area will be hidden down the road so I'm not too worried about it looking perfect. Just structurally sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I searched and called with no prevail. I came to the conclusion that I'm going to fab in sections. After cutting out my rear deck panel (package tray panel) I have enough good left over metal that has bends and curves in it that I will be able to weld pieces together to repair what needs to be replaced. That area will be hidden down the road so I'm not too worried about it looking perfect. Just structurally sound.
Do you have any pics on how you did it? When it comes to fabrication I’m a complete novice. Here’s what mine looks like

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have any pics on how you did it? When it comes to fabrication I’m a complete novice. Here’s what mine looks like View attachment 402565 View attachment 402566
I am still fitting the filler panel that welds on top of the rear deck panel right now. I have not gotten to that section yet. In your second picture it looks like you still have a area where you can make a template off of it. I learned real quick to NOT try and repair big sections at once. Try to repair a few inches at a time. It's more welding but easier to form smaller pieces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am still fitting the filler panel that welds on top of the rear deck panel right now. I have not gotten to that section yet. In your second picture it looks like you still have a area where you can make a template off of it. I learned real quick to NOT try and repair big sections at once. Try to repair a few inches at a time. It's more welding but easier to form smaller pieces.
Thanks for the tip I’ll give it a shot. I don’t really care if it looks pretty or not as long as it does it’s job. I’ll post pics afterwards

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the tip I’ll give it a shot. I don’t really care if it looks pretty or not as long as it does it’s job. I’ll post pics afterwards
Keep me updated. Glad to help. I'm close to getting to that area. I'll post back here when I have an update.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is my progress on the inner panel. I had to get creative on this and so far I am liking the way it is turning out. I started by cutting a section out of my old quarter and bent the strip into a 90ish degree angle. I don't have all the fancy machinery in my garage so I stuck the strip of metal in between two of the boards on my work bench and went to town on it with a body hammer. After getting it close to 90 ish degrees I used a hammer and dolly to make it look a little better. I do have a HF shrinker and stretcher. I took my time and got the piece of metal close enough to match the contour of the new quarter panel window channel. Then I had to cut slits in the newly fabricated channel so I could bend/tweak/massage it to match the profile of the inner panel. I test fit the new quarter panel and made adjustments to the new inner metal probably 6 times before I got the new piece to line up so it wasn't trying to pull the new quarter panel channel downwards. I used cleco clamps in a few different places so I wouldn't lose my location once I found the proper location for the repaired section to rest. Once that was good to go, I went ahead and test fit all other panels that aligned with the new inner piece. I tacked the new piece in place and then drilled thru the old sail panel holes so they would be in the exact same location as before. I am now ready to weld in the new piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
TM , looks like you've been busy . . . . . is that a new 'roof - panel' ?
You, Sir , are a brave man . . . . . . I like it ; good thinking . . . . . jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TM , looks like you've been busy . . . . . is that a new 'roof - panel' ?
You, Sir , are a brave man . . . . . . I like it ; good thinking . . . . . jim
Thank you. Yes it is a new roof skin/panel. I've had some extra time in the garage with the Rona virus keeping everyone home.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts