Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen a few builds on 454s that dyno in the 475hp range with small oval ports so i am going to throw one together and rather than dyno it i am going to take it to the track and see what it will run i have built some budget 454s with large oval ports and solid rollers with large domes but never one i can drive 100 miles to the track and back on regular gas .... after all is done and i get it down the track with some good motor passes then i will put some gas on it and see how fast it really is... the nova i have had a 406 in it i pulled it out left the th 350 with a 3500 stall the nova has a posi with the stock 273 gears here some pictures of what i have so far

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heads

i am using stock peanut port ovel ...this engine ran good so i just changed the valve springs and cleaned them up i am using a comp 268ex cam

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nova build

i got a little done this weekend had to change the oil pan so i put a new oil pump in... got the valve springs put on the heads for the bigger cam also installed the intake.... i could not find any 5/16 pushrods so i bought some 3/8 so now i will have to change the guide plates so now now just waiting on parts........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
454 nova build

well got to work on the nova some today....... i bought the oe type big block frame mounts and the engine just did not not sit in right my headers would not fit and my oil pan was sitting on the frame so i pulled them off put the small block ones back on found some old moroso solid mounts every thing went right in witch i knew it would i have done it before.. i thought the stock big block mounts would give me some more hood clearnce. so i hope the stock hood will close with the airgap intake.hope to get more done tomorrow.......

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
You are running a RPM Airgap intake with the stock hood? You may need to run a lower air cleaner setup then. I know my 383 with RPM airgap would not fit very good under a stock hood, but I have a 2" cowl hood so it fits fine.

Definitely measure out all that stuff before you shut your hood! Hopefully it will all clear just fine for you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Lookin good, i've decided to change my future plans of an LS1 swap to a more realistic BB swap so i'm definitely interested in how your beast turns out!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
454 build

i will go with a cowl hood if i have to but really want to keep the stock hood just for the sleeper look... i had to pull the motor back out today i went to put the torque converter bolts in and there was no end play in the converter it was snug on the fly wheel there has to be about 1/8 movement in the converter before you bolt it up.. so i thought maybe i didnt have the converter all the way in but to make a long story short it was a summit brand fly wheel that was made wrong. i put another flywheel on it and got the motor back in so i am back were i was 2 days ago now time to find a carburator and try to get the column shifter hooked up i am going to have to make the linkage because the stock linkage does not work with the 2 inch headers.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try a 1 inch spacer with divider bar in the middle of it on that rpm air gap, really helped mine.:yes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nova big block build

it been going slow i have a broke foot.... i did change the push rods to 3/8 and found a deal on a set of roller rockers put a new battery tray in hooked up all the gauges.... primed the engine to make sure oil is getting through it so now just need to spend some money........
i also built a nova convertible lol

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nova build

ok back on the nova i have been down with a broke foot not fun... i can walk now so i worked on the nova some. i made a custom column shift linkage to clear the headers made it out of some brackets leftover from a b&m shifter and just bent the stock nova rod and it works great.. i bought a new holley 750 hp carburator and just about everthing i need. i will need a radiator i want to use one that will fit in the stock location and use the orginial fan shroud. i hope to have it running and at the track soon.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
radiator

i went to summit to get my radiator and some fuel line. the radiator fit good it was a summit brand went in just fine but the bottom hose was a pain to find. i had to go to the parts store a few times to find a molded hose that would work im not a big fan of flex hose. i have everthing in and i am going to fire it off sat. and hope to drive it also

[/IMG]

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Looking good, good luck with it.:yes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts