Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my car for this one sight unseen from Wisconsin. S/be here today, so I dont have access to the cowl tag YET. It now has a 350/12 bolt 342 posi w/4sp and front discs. Appears the 350 in the '72 model SS350s had only 200 HP, my question today is this (I will have more questions!):

1 where can I find a CHEAP repro sticker that show 350/200HP- I usually see much higher HP claims

2 should the 72 Sticker have a silver or black outline around the orange?

george in NC

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
welcome to the nova site. look around at classic industries they have lots of repo stickers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Am I right it reading that the 1972 was rated at 200HP?????

IF so, does anyone know where a 350/200 HP Turbojet sticker is sold?

Did any of the 72s come with a chrome air cleaner top?

Not going for a 100% stock look, but similar.

Did any of the 350s in '72 come w/chrome valve covers?

Any BRANDS to stay away from? Not looking for the expensive types but a PLAIN (no stamped names/emblems, no welding etc) steel unit, or chrome, but what ones to stay away from?????

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:waving:Welcome from Wisconsin! :horse: Pics?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I looked all over for that decal to no avail. May not have had one that year. You can be creative and buy a 307/200hp decal and a 350 cut the 350 out and lay it over the 307. Just a suggestion . As far as a chrome dress up kit goes. The most important thing is that they have baffles in them where the breather and PCV go or you will suck oil up into the intake. All chrome deteriorates after time. Even look at the swap meets for a used set. When you bolt them down use the adaptor that goes between the bolt and the valve cove to spread the pressure evenly to prevent leaks. They tend to warp, Use a gasket only if you use silicone use it only on the head side USE VERY LITTLE. GLUE THE GASKET TO THE VALVE COVER WITH WEATHERSTRIP GLUE/CONTACT CEMENT. THEN PUT A SMALL AMOUNT ON YOU FINGER AND SPREAD A LIGHT COATING ON IT. DON'T GLOB IT ON! Let sit for 24 hours and your good to go. Sorry about the caps I'm not yelling i wasn't going to re write it lol .Any other questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
72 350 rated at 200HP?

Maybe where I read that was mistaken? Or maybe GM did not use a sticker on that engine (embarrased?) I'll probably just go w/something close, but does anyone know if they used a Chrome top that year at all- or all black?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the site.
I hope you are able to find the parts you are searching for. Please keep us posted how things work out.

·
13,713 Posts
Welcome to the site. The 1972 Super Sport has a 350CID/200 HP engine. You can make sure your car is an SS by looking at the VIN. The 5th position should be a 'K' which indicates the L48 200 HP engine that only came in the SS in 1972.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts