Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got a full set of Weld wheels for the 72 so I can change it up sometimes and if I get it to the track. Been ready for 3 1/2 years, haven't changed a thing on the car since I started it up other than pulling the distributor and putting a new pickup, cap and rotor as they were very dirty, but still firing. Only have 3500 miles on my drivetrain(383,T350-4000 converter, 4.11-30 sline) though.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks amazing! Before and after the wheels! Look forward to hearing how it runs at the track if you ever make it. You have such a clean car.
Thanks Ironswede, hoping for a high 10, but I know it's at least good for a low 11. Have a lot of fun playing with this old car. It is a no rust car wearing it's old original paint. Last car was super clean too and both are out of California.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is impressive, original paint. That tread pattern looks familiar, nittos?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks, tires are Mickey Thompon's drag radials. Old paint is getting dry on the roof and has a few scratches and door dings, but really solid old car. Floorpan and trunkpan are excellent as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I absolutely adore your car, the whole thing is the perfect package in my opinion.

Whare did you get the steel wheels & poverty caps that fit so well? That's the exact kind of look I want for my car, but I also want to fit 275's out back without chopping sheetmetal, and nobody makes a 15x8" wheel with 5.25" backspacing...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Stout!!! Can't wait to see 1/4 mile slips....

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I absolutely adore your car, the whole thing is the perfect package in my opinion.

Whare did you get the steel wheels & poverty caps that fit so well? That's the exact kind of look I want for my car, but I also want to fit 275's out back without chopping sheetmetal, and nobody makes a 15x8" wheel with 5.25" backspacing...
Thanks, steels(Wheel Vintiques #62 series) came from Summit Racing before I bought this car. Hubcaps are old original that were put up in 1969. You can find sets of them on Ebay typically for $125-$200 and also in singles so you can put together a nice set. My steels have 4.25" backspace while my Welds have 4.5" and both rears are 7" wheels. I can fit a 275 with no problem as I still have almost an inch on each side evenly. I didn't cut anything on the rear quarters and wouldn't. I did build the rearend with 30 spline Eaton and Moser and put it back and ended up evenly on both sides.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stout!!! Can't wait to see 1/4 mile slips....
Thanks, I know it will at least run some low 11's, but should/might be good for a high 10. No bar so only gonna get one run in. Bought a sump for the original tank and was gonna run a 1/2" or -8AN braided fuel line to the front as I'm still running the 5/16" -6cylinder fuel line from tank to fuel pump. Doesn't seem to be an issue and never was so I guess I'll leave it like that, has no problem pulling hard on the big end.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My two before this one out of the 10 that I have built. Did two for the wife at two different times and she drove one for 6 years everyday. Can't hardly get her in one now though. Green one ran 11.70 spinning and the blue 71 ran 11.60 which was a little slow as it had a nitrous cam I should have either put nitrous or changed the cam, but I drove it to work everyday for 4 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,833 Posts

You can have steel wheels made with whatever backspace you want. Wheel Smith, Stockton Wheel, possibly other’s more local to you.. I have a shop not too far from me that can put together steel wheels as needed.. Colin’s Wheel near Long Beach, Ca.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
My two before this one out of the 10 that I have built. Did two for the wife at two different times and she drove one for 6 years everyday. Can't hardly get her in one now though. Green one ran 11.70 spinning and the blue 71 ran 11.60 which was a little slow as it had a nitrous cam I should have either put nitrous or changed the cam, but I drove it to work everyday for 4 years.
You’ve had some really nice cars dude..!:yes:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Hi Johnny ….

I've always liked this car ….. simple & clean.

New wheels looking Good , for sure (but, still kinda like th' "Dogs", myself).

stay well, my friend ……. jim

ps. --- still got "th' Little Pink Jeep" ….. ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks, steels(Wheel Vintiques #62 series) came from Summit Racing before I bought this car. Hubcaps are old original that were put up in 1969. You can find sets of them on Ebay typically for $125-$200 and also in singles so you can put together a nice set. My steels have 4.25" backspace while my Welds have 4.5" and both rears are 7" wheels. I can fit a 275 with no problem as I still have almost an inch on each side evenly. I didn't cut anything on the rear quarters and wouldn't. I did build the rearend with 30 spline Eaton and Moser and put it back and ended up evenly on both sides.
Really? Are you running a 275/50R15? My 275/60R15 BFG's on 15x8" Wheel Vintiques Style 30 "rallye" wheels with 5" backspacing and scrub the passenger's side on the quarter, and the driver's side on the inner. Stock length 12 bolt, with the laughable axle alignment with the body that I need to fix someday...

I assumed you were using 8" wide wheels, which is what piqued my interest. A 15x7 takes a half inch out of the backspacing compared to an 15x8, so your Welds are nearly the same as a 15x8 5BS. Finding a "sad face" steel wheel that fits the poverty caps with the right backspacing is impossible unless you order custom.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You’ve had some really nice cars dude..!:yes:
Thanks Nova Thug

Hi Johnny ….

I've always liked this car ….. simple & clean.

New wheels looking Good , for sure (but, still kinda like th' "Dogs", myself).

stay well, my friend ……. jim

ps. --- still got "th' Little Pink Jeep" ….. ?
Thanks Jim, I'll switch back and forth with them. That pink jeep is still in the garage in my way. It'll be going somewhere out of the way soon as the granddaughters are getting too big now for it(lol).

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really? Are you running a 275/50R15? My 275/60R15 BFG's on 15x8" Wheel Vintiques Style 30 "rallye" wheels with 5" backspacing and scrub the passenger's side on the quarter, and the driver's side on the inner. Stock length 12 bolt, with the laughable axle alignment with the body that I need to fix someday...

I assumed you were using 8" wide wheels, which is what piqued my interest. A 15x7 takes a half inch out of the backspacing compared to an 15x8, so your Welds are nearly the same as a 15x8 5BS. Finding a "sad face" steel wheel that fits the poverty caps with the right backspacing is impossible unless you order custom.
I was thinking I could run the 275/60 on my 7" wheels like they are. Have you seen those adapters some are using to run poverty caps on black Weld wheels to get the look and the weight savings? These are 255/60, I should have gone with the 275/60, but I like the way it sits right now.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
That pink jeep is still in the garage in my way. It'll be going somewhere out of the way soon as the granddaughters are getting too big now for it(lol).
I know just what you mean ------- I think Raelyn has out-grown her

"Red Corvette" , also …………….. jim

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know just what you mean ------- I think Raelyn has out-grown her

"Red Corvette" , also …………….. jim
Here you go Jim, the car had it's 350 that came with it as I can tell by the breather. That was just before I l changed the engine out to my 383. I found a guy online on a Nova site who commented about my car that he missed his car. He showed me a picture and he didn't know my car was his old car, but I knew it was right away and I have his name on paperwork from old owners. He was the guy who V8'd this car back in 1997 in California and kept it till 2007. He even had a webpage for this car: http://www.jimbosprint.com/Nova.htm...PdE8TRNrEWVjywx962dW_NqvY--__tGQ3njcRccOmQNoY

Attachments

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
You bet -------- those are memories ----------

I may just 'Hang th' Red Corvette' up on the shop wall , and keep it.

Nice picture …. thanks for posting

1 - 20 of 28 Posts