Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wrapped up the bumper grill conversion on my 73. I liked the look of the 73 with the bumper tucked, but I liked the look of the 72 just a little better and since I picked up a set of bumpers for a really good price at a swap meet and also found the grill and some trim on CL for an equally good price I decided to do the conversion. For anyone wanting to get the 72 hood lip trim to fit on a 73 hood and save yourself from buying a new hood as well as getting it painted here is how I got it done. The hoods are the same except how the trim fits on the hood. Maybe other's have done it this way, but I never could find any info so hopefully this will help someone else out and save you from needing to get another hood to get it to look right. Anyway, I really didn't want to have to replace the hood and then also get it repainted so I decided to try to figure out how to get the trim to fit. After tying several different things which resulted in the big hood to grill gap and the trim sticking out and not laying flat against the hood I decided to do some cutting and bending on the trim mount. I ended up cutting the 73 hood trim mount where the trim studs would go, bent it down flat and elongated the holes to allow the trim to sit where it would on the 72 hood. Now the trim fits exactly as it would on the 72 hood and I got to reuse my 73 hood. Also, the trim is actually pretty sturdy when opening the hood. I have not had to be overly careful when grabbing the hood to pull it up.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,536 Posts
Great job!!!... and good installation info too (y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts