Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been posted before, and maybe I'm asking this a little too late, but my 73 is in the shop now. Long story short: Original front end parts (moldings, bezels, grill, trim, bumper etc) are in bad shape, and with a new paint job will look like crap. So I decided to go with a 72 front end because of the availability of those parts. I ordered so far: 72 parts: Grill, headlight bezel kit, eyebrow molding, both fenders, both inner fenders, front bumper, front bumper brackets. Has anyone had any experience swapping out front ends and can anyone think of any parts I missed. You 72 guys may know the differences in the cars better than I do. I already hung 72 quarters on it and I have a 72 rear bumper to go on it, Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely,
a very poor nova owner.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Hood. You can put the 72 trim on the front of the 73 hood, but it won't be supported on the bottom edge, and the front end will look like it has it's mouth open. There will be a pronounced gap between the trim and the grill.

You needed an excuse to get a cowl hood didn't you!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
I think the hood latch and hood latch support needed to be changed out as well, maybe someone can confirm or deny this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
lol

omg where did this fad come from? i see it more and more and it drives me up a wall. i own a 73 and i absolutely hate it when people put an earlier nose on them.not only does it take away from the appearance of the car, but it looks [email protected] with taillights being a 73-74.nothing worse then looking at a nova you think is an early 70's and seeing the 73-74 rear,sorry but it looks like the car was pieced together to me.i love the grill and front on my 73 and would never change it but i see this more and more (ebay is full of them).it takes away from the originality of 73-74 and i cant understand why people keep doing this.......sorry rant over.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Im with you on that, i wanted to do the same thing when i first got my 73' but after time went on the front end grew on my and i actually love it now but its his car and if thats what he likes then go for it..its definatly a popular option for 73-74 nova owners...to each his own. :yes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the reason i'm changing it is because, its in the shop now and the moldings, bezels etc are in bad shape, i'd buy 73 replacements (believe me I would, it would be cheaper) but nobody sells anything for the front end of the 73.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks green rally, I actually have a 72 hood with a huge scoop on it I picked up cheap at a swap meet, but I wasn't so sure about using it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
omg where did this fad come from? i see it more and more and it drives me up a wall. i own a 73 and i absolutely hate it when people put an earlier nose on them.not only does it take away from the appearance of the car, but it looks [email protected] with taillights being a 73-74.nothing worse then looking at a nova you think is an early 70's and seeing the 73-74 rear,sorry but it looks like the car was pieced together to me.i love the grill and front on my 73 and would never change it but i see this more and more (ebay is full of them).it takes away from the originality of 73-74 and i cant understand why people keep doing this.......sorry rant over.
Great rant! I agree , if you want it to look like a 72 then get one, nice parts can be found, they made the most novas in 74. The thrill is in the hunt!

·
Registered
122 Posts
lol

"If it is his car, who should it make happy?" i know that is theme around here and for the most part i agree.just the other day i was searching the net and found a 73 with a 71 front end for sale.this idiot wanted 19,000 for this ugly pieced together poor excuse for a nova.it just takes away from the thing we all love about our cars.i love the look of all nova's (except maybe 78's and that Toyota thing) it just seems like this is popping up more and more and i cant understand who started this fad.in my opinion it looks stupid (like the 4x4 nova's).again i know "to each his own."

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
well the reason i'm changing it is because, its in the shop now and the moldings, bezels etc are in bad shape, i'd buy 73 replacements (believe me I would, it would be cheaper) but nobody sells anything for the front end of the 73.

I never have had a problem finding anything for the cars. I've had to turn stuff away.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Great rant! I agree , if you want it to look like a 72 then get one, nice parts can be found, they made the most novas in 74. The thrill is in the hunt!
It's a supply and demand thing, you cannot get 73-74 front end parts as easily as 68-72, and the 68-72 cars are getting pricey and harder to find then 73-74's. It's not just about mutating 73-74's.:no:

The fenders are also interchangeable from 68-74, 68 & 9 have different marker lights then 70 up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, imo, he can do whatever he wants with his car, and if he like it that way good for him, i´m fixing mine, and my front end parts (grill, eyebrows, hood lip molding, etc.) was not good, grill was in pieces, but now they have replacements, and you can get almost everything second hand, not new but in good or regular condition, and there are some places where to send some things to get fixed, so i like to do it that way, and he like it do it his way, as everyone else do it their way.

Just my 2 cents.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
the list

Im doing a swap right now and I like it cause I think the 2 orange pumkins in the grill look like crap and the bumper looks like someone busted the car in the lip but i got a steal on the car and swapped it to my taste. Anyways here is a list:

Fenders are the same 70-74 .
68-72 hood, part#103036-1 chevy 2 only.
68-72 front bumper brackets Lh set part#74040 ,
68-72 front bumper brackets RH set part#74041,
70-72 umu2 chrome front bumper part#74032-2 ,
71-72 park lamp assy (2 of these)part#73054,
68-72 fender mounting bracket in front of wheel,pr. part# 74029, all from chevy 2 only.

From Camaros & Classics,
68 -72 nova grille filler panel, plsstic (3919083) part#nv811,
68-72 nova front bumper filler reinforcement part#4012-020-68,
68-72 nova eyebrow molding, pr. part#nv755,
68-72 x body bumper bolt set part#4012-001-68s,
69-72 nova headlight bezel GM,LH part#nv831,
69-72 nova headligt bezel GM,rh part #nv832
70-72 nova grille,repro,SS part#nv810 ,
69-72 hood lock catch support part#3938635 ,
68-72 nova hood molding part#nv752,
69-72 nova hood emblem part#nv3085 ,
There are two brackets ,one on each side of the grille that are not being remade,I think they are called grille brackets,also the top grille support that rivits to the top of the grille is not being re made ,chevy 2 only does carry some used parts or maybe ebay or ajunk yard for these parts.
This list is courtesy of JMcleek

·
Registered
66 Posts
a buddy of mine changed out his 73' with a 72' front end. But he also replaced the back tail light panel and bumper. Only give a way is the rear quarter glass.
If you do the front go all the way and do the back also. Just my thought.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
"If it is his car, who should it make happy?" i know that is theme around here and for the most part i agree.just the other day i was searching the net and found a 73 with a 71 front end for sale.this idiot wanted 19,000 for this ugly pieced together poor excuse for a nova.it just takes away from the thing we all love about our cars.i love the look of all nova's (except maybe 78's and that Toyota thing) it just seems like this is popping up more and more and i cant understand who started this fad.in my opinion it looks stupid (like the 4x4 nova's).again i know "to each his own."
seriously what crawled up your @**** i am doing the front end swap and i have gotten every needed and theres nothing wrong with it at all in my book, leave him alone about it its not anything like the 4x4 nova at all how does some thing that turns out like this

comapre to any thing that turns out like this

i know every one is entitled to ther opinion but if your gonna sit there and bash people for doing what they want to do with there car, or what they think will look good and compare it to something thats completly off of what they are trying to do you should keep you mouth shut. we have the right to do what we want with our cars. it doesnt make them any uglier than you r car if we thorw a new front end on

·
Registered
585 Posts
to be different is the way to go

i know every one is entitled to ther opinion but if your gonna sit there and bash people for doing what they want to do with there car, or what they think will look good and compare it to something thats completly off of what they are trying to do you should keep you mouth shut. we have the right to do what we want with our cars. it doesnt make them any uglier than you r car if we thorw a new front end on[/QUOTE]

well said!! that's the way it should be! as far as what my car looks like i don't ask people what they think cause people like him! just do what makes you happy! imo it looks good!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts