Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does an original 72 floor shift column still have the lever at the end right above the rag joint?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Yes, there was linkage from the trans,to rotate the collar to lock the sterring wheel and operate the netural safety and back up light switch, most were removed when headers were installed

·
Registered
878 Posts
Humm, this issue brings up a question for me. When I was stripping my '72 I found two levers that were held up with a zip-tie. Since the car was a former three-speed column shift I just figured they were the shift levers.
I've since cut them off and covered the lower end of the column with a tube and shaved and filled the upper column where the shift lever used to be. Everything works well including the steering lock.
I did not see a lever for the drive. What am I missing?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Hi John . . . . .

So, you were correct , "former 3 speed car" - - - those were the column shift 'connectors' going to the trans . But, one of those (the one for reverse) . . . should have had the
same (they called it) Back Drive linkage . . . . . both for (factory 3 speed & 4 speed trans. ) When parking - shift into reverse - - - - that would "move the steering column "COLLAR" , thus
locking u'r steering wheel , allowing you too remove & lock u'r ign. switch , and locking your tranny in the reverse position , ( for 'anti-theft' ) . . ( starting with 1969 cars) . Also when you would shift into 'reverse gear' the BACK DRIVE Linkage would move u'r
column 'collar' for u'r back-up lights to come on . Does that all make sense ?
Now, that is all un-hooked . . . it still works . . . but, that may be because you never turn your steering column 'collar' (if that collar never moves (or rotates) . . . then, everything still
works.
I changed over to my 5 speed . . . . . . . . . pulled into my drive & could - not remove my car keys . . . . . . my column collar had moved, a little = reach up there & move / wiggle my
collar around , before I could remove my car keys .

All that "Back Drive" linkage was also for automatics too (just a little different . . . but, same idea).

Look over here . . . with pictures . . . from 4 days ago . . . very same thing . . . Hope this may explain things . Everything should be O K - - - just, know - - if your keys don't want too come out = maybe u'r "collar" . . . . moved some (simple ) . . . . . . later , jim

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks Jim for the good explanation. Early on in the project I cut off the column shift lever boss and filled the hole with a metal plug and finished it. I'm thinking this
must have locked the collar in place w/o even knowing it. Anyway, the collar does not move.
Thx again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts