Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered the "Nova" fender badges for my 72 from John's Classic Cars and Parts. They were the GM licensed ones, not the aftermarket. Anyway, the holes on my fenders are about an inch more narrow than the pegs on the badges. I called John's (they have really good about helping me out... really good customer service) and they couldn't figure out what might have been there. They even took measurements of other badges that they had. Were there any other badging options than anyone might know of? I'm at a loss. I've attached a picture of each fender.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Well on my 72 thats the Nova emblem location for sure. as you know, with out getting to the back of it i cant measure the studs to give you the factory measurement wish i could be more help

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
GM still sells them too.:yes:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Re Nova badges

Hi Ozzie!
Checked mine, the fenders are off and they are original, center to center spaceing is 3.5 inches..... may be the prev. owner had "SS" emblems or something on there.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Hi osborns,

Do you know if your car has the original fenders or not?

I'm thinking your car might have front fenders off a 73 or 74. The fenders themselves are interchangeable from 70 - 74. But 73/74 used slightly different "Nova" badges that could very likely have a different mounting stud spacing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm guessing that the fenders must be from a 73 or 74. I figured they were original because I can see the original green paint under the molding pieces. They must have been replaced way before the last paint job. I'm considering trying to get a hold of the original owner to see if he has any information for me. I have the protecto plate and warranty card with the name and address so it shouldn't be that hard (depending on age).

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Do you know if it could possibly be a Rally Nova? Rally Novas do not have the Nova emblem on the fenders, which could explain why you found the original color under the strips. Somebody may have drilled holes to mount the wrong emblems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good question. I have no idea. How would I find out if it were a rally? Any other telltale signs?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Silly question, but did you ever actually have emblems on it? If so do you have a picture of them?
I am thinking that maybe you have 73-74 fenders that had the ss logo on them, which is why the Nova ones wont line up. See if any of the 73-74 SS logos match the dimensions of the holes you have.

Also here are some pictures from novaresource that may help

Hopefully this helps.
Brian

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
When I bought my 74 brand new- I mounted 73 style SS emblems where the NOVA fender emblems were on the front fenders.

Needless to say, the holes weren't a match, and I had to position the SS emblem to best cover the existing holes.
Unless you had bonified 73 SS fenders, you'd have more than 2 holes there. Or 74 SS fenders that were drilled out.

My guess somewhere along the way- you ended up with 73-4 fenders.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Good question. I have no idea. How would I find out if it were a rally? Any other telltale signs?
Finding a build sheet is the best way, but some other clues are the lack of Nova emblems from the fenders, blacked out grill (same as an SS, except no SS emblem), color keyed carpet, bright drip rails, bullet driver's side mirror, and heavy duty suspension. Rally's were available with any engine except the L48, which was the SS only engine, and all the other option were available on any car. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is from the build sheet since there is no way to decode a Rally from the VIN or the trim tag.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Silly question, but did you ever actually have emblems on it? If so do you have a picture of them?
I am thinking that maybe you have 73-74 fenders that had the ss logo on them, which is why the Nova ones wont line up. See if any of the 73-74 SS logos match the dimensions of the holes you have.

Brian
I just got the car and there weren't any emblems in those spots. I'm betting that they are from a 73-74. I guess I'll just leave the holes until we paint it, then just weld them up.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
They should be 3 1/2" center to center apart.Just looked at a original set of front fenders that i have had for years.
I measured a couple 73/74 fenders for comparison. The holes for the 73/74 "Nova" fender script are about 2 11/16" center to center.

So there's a 13/16" spacing difference between the 69-72 vs. 73-74 emblem mounting holes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I measured a couple 73/74 fenders for comparison. The holes for the 73/74 "Nova" fender script are about 2 11/16" center to center.

So there's a 13/16" spacing difference between the 69-72 vs. 73-74 emblem mounting holes.
That must be it. That's the distance mine are. I guess I'll go ahead and order the emblems for the 73-74. Thanks everyone, for all of the help. I'm sure it won't be the last time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts