Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having one heck of a time finding a replacement condenser for this nova. nothing seems to be available. anyone have any input?
thx

·
Registered
1972 Nova
328 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Classic Industries has one that sounds like a stock replacement.
Dear God, all other condensers are around $100, this is almost $300! we should be able to use one from another application. I am surprised this is not a common part available.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So on top of the price, they claim its Oversized ( which it is Not ) and another $59.60 for shipping. for this kind of $ i will find another way.

·
Registered
1972 Nova
328 Posts
If you measure the condenser and fittings, as well as measure the location of the fittings, you might be able to find a universal unit. Most people would rather buy an aftermarket kit for $1,500 than to spend the money on the factory system and hope that it's going to work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you measure the condenser and fittings, as well as measure the location of the fittings, you might be able to find a universal unit. Most people would rather buy an aftermarket kit for $1,500 than to spend the money on the factory system and hope that it's going to work.
Yea, if it were up to me, id replace the whole system, but this is a restoration so we have to keep it original-ish. There has to be a similar replacement. But if I cant find one before someone responds, Ill probably use a vintage air unit in the same size and run some lines to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another great thing is the two bottom screws on the mounting brackets just spin, there is no way to hold the back because it is in a channel.. is grinding them off the only option

·
Registered
1972 Nova
328 Posts
It's a little cheaper than the OEM replacement, but Vintage Air sells a condenser/dryer kit for $250 that looks like it's a factory replacement. Their site is weird, so I can't link it, but the item is "021171 - 1969-72 Chevrolet Nova SureFit™ Condenser Kit w/ Drier".

I don't remember what I did with the lower screws (I took mine off over the winter). Are those the screws with the rubber bushings?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a little cheaper than the OEM replacement, but Vintage Air sells a condenser/dryer kit for $250 that looks like it's a factory replacement. Their site is weird, so I can't link it, but the item is "021171 - 1969-72 Chevrolet Nova SureFit™ Condenser Kit w/ Drier".

I don't remember what I did with the lower screws (I took mine off over the winter). Are those the screws with the rubber bushings?
I called vintage air, they only have one that works with their system. Im sure i can make it work as i use them in every build, but i use ezclip for all new installs. I preferred just plug n play.
Yes, its the ones with bushings that just spin. REAL good engineering :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just in case anyone needs those god awful, spin in place things that mount the condenser to the radiator support.
they are called well nuts. they are ¼-20 and I think they are part # 13004 from the Auveco catalog.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Here you go - - - - - and, I would - not use them - - - - - but, someone might be looking ?

just B S , FYI . (good info , tho ) .

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Just in case anyone needs those god awful, spin in place things that mount the condenser to the radiator support.
they are called well nuts. they are ¼-20 and I think they are part # 13004 from the Auveco catalog.
Regarding those well nuts, I found them in the hardware section of my local Lowe's when I was rebuilding my system. But regarding your bigger question about the condenser, I still have my original and as far as I know, it's in good shape. I replaced it with an aftermarket unit when I rebuilt my system to work with R-134A refrigerant.
I'm willing to part with it if you still need an original. It's from a 1969 factory A/C car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts