Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks for all the guys dropping knowledge for people like me fumbling through this. That being said,

I’m in the process of planning out the build to resurrect my 72. I was hoping you guys could pick apart my plan and tell me what works, won’t work, and maybe some ideas to improve.

Front end will mostly be stock ish. Coil overs, Detroit speed ‘speed kit 1 front end’ maybe. Has anybody gone from regular power steering to rack and pinion? Is it worth it? 2 or 1 inch lower than stock hight in the front as well.

Crate engine most likely. Open to suggestions, I’ve been eyeballing a 427 small block by skip white proformance though I don’t know much about the company. I want to keep it carbureted.

5 speed manual transmission. TKO 600 maybe.

Rear end, I think I’m going to keep leaf springs. Get some Mini tubs in there. Do I go 12 bolt or ford 9”?? 3.42 limited slip rear dif. Anybody gone from leaf springs to 4 link? Is it worth it ?

Well I think that’s enough for now. Thanks again to you guys spreading the knowledge and helping out. It is much appreciated.

Just curious if anybody is running this set up or anything like it and if you’re happy with it or would you make changes.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
512 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like a very nice build plan. Keep us updated with pics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man it’s gonna be an adventure. I took off the intake manifold and found 2 bent push rods and 2 lifters that were just rolling around in there. So it looks like she was only running on 7 cylinders. Taking the block to a machine shop this week to see if it’s worth salvaging.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I know a guy with a 72 whit a similar build as you describe. 5 speed, 383 SBC, stock clip with tubular arms, coil overs, 10 bolt with 3.42's, and subframe connectors, and wrapped in hugger orange paint. It's a really nice car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds awesome! He stuck with the 10 bolt rear huh? At what horsepower is it a good idea to switch to a 12 bolt or the ford 9”?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Your 10 bolt likely has the 8.5 ring gear. Unless you have sticky tires you will be just fine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
72 Build

Thanks man it’s gonna be an adventure. I took off the intake manifold and found 2 bent push rods and 2 lifters that were just rolling around in there. So it looks like she was only running on 7 cylinders. Taking the block to a machine shop this week to see if it’s worth salvaging.
Good move letting the machine shop check the old block---when those lifters coughed themselves out of the oil galley all oil pressure was lost. Chances are the lower end took a hit.
Nice ride though---love the 68--72s..

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
That sounds awesome! He stuck with the 10 bolt rear huh? At what horsepower is it a good idea to switch to a 12 bolt or the ford 9”?
I don't know what hp his engine is putting out. The 10 bolt 8.5 version is every bit as strong as the old 12 bolt passenger car rear ends. It has a the same size pinion as the old 12 bolt had. The 8.2 is not too bad either but it depends on how you intend to use and abuse it. If your going to be drag racing then an 8.5, a 9",or a 12 bolt may be in order. The shock load from hard launches is what will take their toll on lesser axles. Your putting in a 5 speed so I assume you like to drive and probably not so much in a straight line.. There are more then three 10 bolt GM rear axles but these are the most common ones. They are easily distinguished..

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info on the rear diffs I feel a little better now not having to save up for a 9” for now anyway. I think I got the 8.5 back there.

Took the block and heads into the shop to have them looked at. Guess it was the valve springs causing all the ruckus in there. They were monster springs we couldn’t even get them to budge. I guess they were for a big racing application not a stock 350 with a stock camshaft.

Well I’ll keep you guys posted with the status of the block. Hopefully in a week or so we’ll know the extent of the damages.

Maybe I’ll start working some front disk brakes or floor pan patches or maybe a new trunk pan.

Thanks again for all the help

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got a TKO 600 in mine with a 3.73 Eaton Tru Trac in a 12 bolt housing. Really fun to drive around town and only turns 2,000 rpm at 65 mph. Unless you're planning on racing it, I don't see why a 10 bolt set up like that shouldn't work great.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Worked my old 8.2 for 6 years and never hurt it with sticky tires. My 8.5 I went to 30 spline Eaton and Moser. Not worried about it at all behind my 383, Lunati solid roller/4.11gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any of you guys know some good front end suspension kits? I know Detroit Speed has one their speed kit 1 is what I’m thinking. Anybody use speed tech preformance? They also have a one I’m looking at. Really just looking for some Coilovers, control arms maybe a sway bar. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts