Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finnally picked up this 71SS NOVA project car....which is missing the interior. It came stock with a bench. I was told this is correct, because they came both ways...correct ?? I know it's an SS, because I bought it from the original owner, and it has factory power disk-brakes. Anyone selling front and rear seats ??

John

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Yes John they came standard with bench buckets were optional even on SS.Disc brakes were only standard on big block cars I believe other models it was an option,pretty sure.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
taz3 said:
Yes John they came standard with bench buckets were optional even on SS.Disc brakes were only standard on big block cars I believe other models it was an option,pretty sure.
No....BB or SB had nothing to do with it..... as far as I know disc brakes were standard on all 3rd gen SS cars except for the '68 which came standard with finned drum brakes on the SS...BUT like I said BB or SB didnt matter cause if it was a 3rd Gen SS car then it had disc brakes as standard equipment...except of course as noted for the '68 model year

And yes the interior in a real SS car could be either Bench or Buckets...with the Bench seat being the standard seat offered...

the bench was offereed with either the standard or custom interior while the bucket seat could only be had with the custom interior :)

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
69NovaSS said:
No....BB or SB had nothing to do with it..... as far as I know disc brakes were standard on all 3rd gen SS cars except for the '68 which came standard with finned drum brakes on the SS...BUT like I said BB or SB didnt matter cause if it was a 3rd Gen SS car then it had disc brakes as standard equipment...except of course as noted for the '68 model year

And yes the interior in a real SS car could be either Bench or Buckets...with the Bench seat being the standard seat offered...

the bench was offereed with either the standard or custom interior while the bucket seat could only be had with the custom interior :)
My build sheet states disc brakes as option J52 and my 70 L6 had drum in front same as my 69 SB parts car,drum as well.I not sure what designates disc I was told it was a must have option with BB.Sorry miss read SS part.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
my car came stock with buckets but I'm actually thinking of going bench!!! And yes, I pretty sure the SS could have had either.

regarding the disc brakes, I don't think that alone constitutes an SS Nova. I have had trouble even verifying my own car as an SS. The best I could do is find the codes for original motor as 350 / 4 barrel, performance suspension, 12 bolt posi, factory tach, floor shift, hood louver brackets, full SS badging and, of course, disc brakes. Other than, there seems to me to be no way to verify. I don't care, anyway. Used to, but not anymore. Now I just want to finish the thing and drive it. Its only been sittin in the garage 19 years.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
walkerjay said:
my car came stock with buckets but I'm actually thinking of going bench!!! And yes, I pretty sure the SS could have had either.

regarding the disc brakes, I don't think that alone constitutes an SS Nova. I have had trouble even verifying my own car as an SS. The best I could do is find the codes for original motor as 350 / 4 barrel, performance suspension, 12 bolt posi, factory tach, floor shift, hood louver brackets, full SS badging and, of course, disc brakes. Other than, there seems to me to be no way to verify. I don't care, anyway. Used to, but not anymore. Now I just want to finish the thing and drive it. Its only been sittin in the garage 19 years.

Well no disc brakes dont mean a car is an SS....BUT a 3rd gen car(other than '68, '73, '74) cannot be an SS without disc brakes being on the car from the factory...yes other NON SS cars had disc brakes so your right disc brakes alone are not a way to ID an SS car. Also your right that 3rd gen SS's could be had with bench or buckets...cause my GM Canada verifired SS car had a bench with standard interior from the factory...but it has buckets now;)

EDIT: I just read on Nova Resource that 73 and 74 didnt have disc breaks as standard equipment on SS cars either

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
The following information is from the Nova Resource Site SS information page...Thanks Scott
http://novaresource.org/rpo_Z26.htm

1968 Super Sport
Model Availability
Nova coupe - 11427
Power Train Availability
350 V8 4V L48
396 V8 4V L34
396 V8 4V L78
Equipment (used in addition to or in place of standard equipment)
Exterior
Special hood ornaments
Black painted grille with bright upper and lower horizontal bars
Black painted rear end panel trim plate
Under hood insulation
"Super Sport" nameplate on lower front fenders
"SS" emblem on grille and rear end panel
Engine Chrome

Interior
Deluxe steering wheel with horn blowing buttons and "SS" emblem on hub
"SS" emblem on instrument panel

Chassis
Red stripe, wide oval E70-14-4PR tires on 14x6 rim
F40 Heavy duty suspension (F41 Sport suspension optional)
Finned front brake drums

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1969 Super Sport - RPO Z26
Model Availability
Nova coupe - 11427
Power Train Availability
350 V8 4V L48
396 V8 4V L34
396 V8 4V L78
Exterior
Front fender side louver ornament (bright edge)
Special hood ornaments
Under hood insulation
Engine Chrome

Interior
Black steering wheel, shroud and column with "SS" emblem on shroud

Chassis
Red stripe, wide oval E70-14-4PR tires on 14x7 rim
Front disc brakes with power assist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1970 Super Sport - RPO Z26
Model Availability
Nova coupe - 11427
Power Train Availability
350 V8 4V L48
396 V8 4V L34
396 V8 4V L78
Exterior
Front fender side louver ornament (bright edge)
Special hood ornaments

Interior

Chassis
White stripe E70-14-B tires on 14x7 rim

1971 Super Sport - RPO Z26
Model Availability
Nova coupe - 11427
Power Train Availability
350 V8 4V L48
Exterior
Special hood ornaments

Interior

Chassis

1972 Super Sport - RPO Z26
Model Availability
Nova coupe - 1X27
Power Train Availability
350 V8 4V L48
Exterior
Special hood ornaments

Interior

Chassis

1973 Super Sport - RPO Z26
Model Availability
Standard Nova hatchback - 1X17
Standard Nova coupe - 1X27
Custom Nova hatchback - 1Y17
Custom Nova coupe - 1Y27
Power Train Availability
250 L6 1V L22
307 V8 2V L14
350 V8 2V L65
350 V8 4V L48
Exterior
Black grille with argent accent on 2nd and 5th horizontal bars
"SS" ornamentation on grille, fender and deck lid
Specific body side striping, 2 colors (black or white)
Black painted rear end panel with bright trim on tail lamps
Dual body-color sport mirrors (LH remote, RH manual)
Bright roof drip moldings

Interior
"SS" emblem on steering wheel shroud
Carpet floor covering

Chassis
Rally wheels 14x6 or 14x7 with specific center hub and no trim ring

1974 Super Sport - RPO Z26
Model Availability
Standard Nova hatchback - 1X17
Standard Nova coupe - 1X27
Custom Nova hatchback - 1Y17
Custom Nova coupe - 1Y27
Power Train Availability
250 L6 1V L22
350 V8 2V L65
350 V8 4V LM1
350 V8 4V L48
Exterior
"SS" nameplate in center of grille (delete bow-tie emblem)
Black grille with argent accent on 2nd and 5th horizontal bars
Bright trim around tail lamps
Large "Nova SS" decals on front fenders and deck lid (delete "Nova by Chevrolet" from deck lid and "Nova" or "Nova Custom" from front fender side)
Front end decal striping on fender and hood, along hood to fender break lines LH and RH
Deck lid decal striping along deck to rear quarter break line - LH and RH
Stripes are vinyl decal type available in black with gold accent or gold with red accent
Black accented side window frames, underside of roof drip molding and on belt line below windows
Black painted sport mirrors (formerly body color)
NOTE: Body rear end panels same as body (black paint treatment eliminated)

Interior
"SS" emblem on steering wheel shroud
Carpet floor covering

Chassis
Rally wheels 14x6 (argent) with specific center hub and added P06 trim ring (14x7 Rally wheels when QEB E70-14 tires, QDW FR78-14 tires or JL2 disc brakes are ordered)

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Great find on the info posted.69novaSS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
71ss

I found that information too. Only SS 71 Novas came with Power front discs. Anyway, I NEED SEATS...front and rear....Anyone have any ???

John

Thanks guys for ALL the info !!!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
John'sCustoms said:
I found that information too. Only SS 71 Novas came with Power front discs. Anyway, I NEED SEATS...front and rear....Anyone have any ???

John

Thanks guys for ALL the info !!!
ah....not quite...they were standard equipment on the 71 SS (part of the SS package) but other 71 Novas could have power front disc brakes as an option...

seats are not super easy to come by from what I have seen here...the major problem is their size unless you can find a set nearby you have to pay shipping and becuase of the size of the front or rear seats shipping will be quite expensive...:(

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Bench seat was standard equipment on all 1968-74 Super Sports. Buckets seats were optional on 1968-74 SS (and non-SS).

Power disc brakes were standard on all 1969-72 Super Sports and optional on non-SS.

Finned front drums were standard on all 1968 Super Sports. Power disc brakes were optional on 1968 SS (and non-SS).

Drum brakes were standard on all 1973-74 Super Sports. Power disc brakes were optional on 1973-74 SS (and non-SS).

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was told without original paperwork or original motor, trans numbers there is no way to determine a true 1969-71 ss. Basically every option except ss badges could be ordered in a regular nova. In 1972 the vin # started to indicate ss.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
kidsjustine said:
I was told without original paperwork or original motor, trans numbers there is no way to determine a true 1969-71 ss. Basically every option except ss badges could be ordered in a regular nova. In 1972 the vin # started to indicate ss.
To be 100% you need one of the items you listed.3 engines were only offered in SS so your still at square one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bench verses buckets

When I got my 75 it had no front seats at all. I had buckets that I took out of my grand am when I blew the motor so I tried those in the Nova. I also had a bench seat that I acquired from a junk yard out of a 73 they had out there.
All of my "car friends" said to go with buckets. To use the grand am buckets I would have had to drill new holes in the floor etc. but after some contemplation I decided to try the bench seat out and found that it not only bolted up perfectly, it was very comfortable and since it is in fantastic condition it looks great.
It is the type of bench seat where the back rest fold forward separately so its a bit "cooler" than some of the typical benches where the back rest is all one piece. I LOVE it!!
I think it's just a matter of preference for the most part.
So, there's my two cents on that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a front bench

Converted bench to bucket in my 72. The seat needs covered but the head rests are in great shape. Never shipped a bench seat but I think I would seperate backs and bottom.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
For the record and posted many many times.

Up to 1975 75% of all GM performance cars the performance packages offered Disc brakes standard were ordered special with "Disc Brake delete".

Dealers ordered a lot of these vehicles Disc Delete for inventory.

Disc brakes where not a selling badge! They made vehicle's hard to sell when they first came out.

Consumers did not want the high cost of brake repair associated with them.
Disc brake service was very expensive.

And most felt they did not work because they could NOT lockup the brakes!

FACT!
Al

1 - 17 of 17 Posts