Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was going to start rebuilding the steering (inner & outer tie-rods etc)on my 71 and I compared it to what came off of the 73 subframe I picked up for my disc brake conversion and they are totally different. Basically the 73 is alot more beefy whith different tie-rods, bends, etc. Just wondering if this is normal. I know that the steering arms on the spindles are the same so I'm going to use my 71 setup. Did Chev just upgrade the steering in 73?

Later

·
6,560 Posts
I've only had 73 and newer Nova's but here are my thoughts. Chevrolet could have made them beefier as they found out the original design needed upgrading, or Chevrolet got parts from a different supplier, or at some point in the cars life the original parts got replaced with aftermarket ones, or some backwoods engineer found out some parts from another model would work. A lot of variables. Unless you know the history of the car or are able to see if there are any factory markings on the parts you might not be comparing factory to factory parts. You might be looking at a factory and aftermarket part or two aftermarket parts too.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts