Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I might find the chrome inserts for the six slots in the wheels or perhaps somebody has some they might want to sell. The wheels and center caps are original and the trim rings are after market. While working on my Nova this past summer a fellow showed up at my garage and I had just finished painting the rims. He asked if I had the slot inserts and nope I kind of thought there might be something that goes in the slots. He left and shortly thereafter returned with one chrome insert which he promptly inserted into a slot. They have teeth on them and when he removed it numerous scratches appeared in my new paint. It took a lot of time to blast, prime and paint those wheels and I was instantly pissed at him. He left as quick as he arrived and I never saw him again. Maybe if I kept my cool I could have offered to buy them but I didn't.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,782 Posts
I have a box full of them. Will send you a PM.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Those chrome inserts came later. Your car should not have them. I think they started using them in 73 or 74 thru the end of the Nova run.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Those chrome inserts came later. Your car should not have them. I think they started using them in 73 or 74 thru the end of the Nova run.
You're right, those inserts came along later. And I believe they were only used with the "color-keyed" rally wheels that were painted to match the car's body or stripe color and not used with the regular silver rally wheels. The color-keyed rally wheels were first available as an option on the 1976 Nova Concours and were used on the Nova Rally from 77 to 79.

So if keeping with the original look is a concern, you'll probably want to skip the inserts and see if you can touch up those scratches where that guy did you the "favor" of test fitting one into your freshly painted wheels. Otherwise, adding the inserts doesn't really look that out of place and many people probably wouldn't even notice. The rally wheels I put on my 74 came off a later 70's Camaro and had the inserts. After painting the wheels silver I put the inserts back in even though they wouldn't have originally been used and they aren't all that noticeable against the silver paint.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe re-pops are available at Classic Ind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone know where I might find the chrome inserts for the six slots in the wheels or perhaps somebody has some they might want to sell. The wheels and center caps are original and the trim rings are after market. While working on my Nova this past summer a fellow showed up at my garage and I had just finished painting the rims. He asked if I had the slot inserts and nope I kind of thought there might be something that goes in the slots. He left and shortly thereafter returned with one chrome insert which he promptly inserted into a slot. They have teeth on them and when he removed it numerous scratches appeared in my new paint. It took a lot of time to blast, prime and paint those wheels and I was instantly pissed at him. He left as quick as he arrived and I never saw him again. Maybe if I kept my cool I could have offered to buy them but I didn't.
Your '71 Rally wheels are correct as is. In 1971, your SS came with the 7x14 Rally wheels with center caps and trim rings. Non SS cars could be optioned with 6x14 Rally wheels. I have seen original 1971 cars with Rally wheels and they are exactly like yours with center cap and trim ring only. In my opinion, the '71 and later Rally wheels look sharp. Hope this helps your decision.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a set of these on my 1969 Concours Estate wagon. They really looked sharp.
Page #348 in the Classic Industries catalog: Be sure you're sitting down when you look at the price.
The catalog says a 15x7 wheel was made. Was that for the Camaro and Firebird, perhaps?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi. I got an original set of the wheel inserts (24) from fellow member SouthBay2s. Nice shape and good price. The wheels are 14 x 7 original 71 SS. I got them from Sundell Auto out of Shelby N.C. They sand blasted and primed them for me.

·
6,523 Posts
The nice thing about the snap in inserts are that they are stainless and can be polished up really well. Since they are so small, I made up a holder out of fiberglass to snap the inserts into them, then with a felt wheel and some jewelers rouge using my die grinder, one can really shine them up.
Sorry for the small picture but this was the only shot I had of the jig from 20 years ago.

I can't find the other picture I had of the holder I made for the 73/74 front grill marker trim rings and the taillight trim rings but it too was made out of fiberlgass.

Jim

·
Registered
111 Posts
What are the aftermarket inserts made of? Are they different from originals?
FYI: I just found #5 originals in my attic and gave them to a neighbor who is getting into the hub cab wall art hobby, which is cool even if I didn't get my money's worth.
And, Jim, that's a sweet jig!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts