Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 71 nova with ford nine inch differential. My problems im having is finding the right backspacing. I have torque thrust II classics, 15x7 and they rub if i hit a dip in in road, so i went with 15x8's with a 4 1/2 backspace, and i have the same rubbing problem. The offsets of the torque thrusts is 0. The tires are cooper cobras, 225/70/15's, which is not a bid tire, compared to other novas ive seen. Is it possible the ford diff is wider then a gm 10 or 12 bolt Im tired of sending wheels back to summit . Anyone else run into this problem before ?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
your going to need to measure the rear end. backing plate to backing plate

The only way 15x8 with 4.5 back space would fit is if the rear end was narrowed 1" per side from stock.

15x7 with 4.5 back space fits a stock nova with no issues at all.

I run a 15x8 with 5.5 back spacing and have a 275/60/15 on the back and its lowered 2"

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have 15x7 torque thrust II's now, but they don't make them with a 4.5 backspace. They are 3.76 backspace with a 0 offset.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was shopping around for wheels for my car recently and noticed a disturbing lack of wheels that have Nova-friendly high offsets/backspacing. Torque Thrust wheels don't have any pairings that would fit a Nova with wide wheels off the shelf unfortunately; you may have to have them custom make a set for you.

But, to start, measure your rear axle width and figure out what your overall width is. If you're any wider than stock, you'll have a rough time finding wheels that fit well.

For comparison, I have a set of 15x8", 5.25" backspace wheels with 275/60R15's on the back of my car. They fit (barely), but the passenger's side scrubs the quarter a little on bumps and "aggressive" driving, mainly due to the off-center axle in the chassis (which is common on these cars). My car has a factory 12 bolt which is roughly 60.25" wide.

For every inch in width you go, you need to add 1/2" in backspacing to accommodate for the new wheel center location (relative to the back of the wheel, you're splitting an inch in half.) So, for example, if you had a 15x7" wheel with a 2.5 backspacing, you would need to buy a 15x8 wheel with a 3" backspacing in order to have the face of the wheel centered.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
i have 15 x 7 with a 4 1/8 bs with 235 60 15's an they are tight. these are rally style wheels. an on a 66 body. i have to let the air out of the tire to remove to clear the brake drum/inner fender. if i could find some rallys with 4.5 bs i'm sure would be better. my guess is your axle is a bit to long. where in michigan are you at?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have 15 x 7 with a 4 1/8 bs with 235 60 15's an they are tight. these are rally style wheels. an on a 66 body. i have to let the air out of the tire to remove to clear the brake drum/inner fender. if i could find some rallys with 4.5 bs i'm sure would be better. my guess is your axle is a bit to long. where in michigan are you at?
Im in flushing, west of Flint

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was shopping around for wheels for my car recently and noticed a disturbing lack of wheels that have Nova-friendly high offsets/backspacing. Torque Thrust wheels don't have any pairings that would fit a Nova with wide wheels off the shelf unfortunately; you may have to have them custom make a set for you.

But, to start, measure your rear axle width and figure out what your overall width is. If you're any wider than stock, you'll have a rough time finding wheels that fit well.

For comparison, I have a set of 15x8", 5.25" backspace wheels with 275/60R15's on the back of my car. They fit (barely), but the passenger's side scrubs the quarter a little on bumps and "aggressive" driving, mainly due to the off-center axle in the chassis (which is common on these cars). My car has a factory 12 bolt which is roughly 60.25" wide.

For every inch in width you go, you need to add 1/2" in backspacing to accommodate for the new wheel center location (relative to the back of the wheel, you're splitting an inch in half.) So, for example, if you had a 15x7" wheel with a 2.5 backspacing, you would need to buy a 15x8 wheel with a 3" backspacing in order to have the face of the wheel centered.
Measuring my ford 9" by laying under the car, is measuring approx 56" backplate to backplate. These 15x7 with 3.76 backspace clear the lips of the quarters fine, since the lips have been trimmed, the problem is the tire sidewall touches the INNER Fenderwell if i hit a dip in the road. The tires are cooper cobra GT's, 215/70/15's.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Aaaah, if you're hitting the INSIDE, then you need a lower backspace to clear the inner tubs. We usually have the opposite problem, where the outside of the tire rubs the quarters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts