Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! Long time member here finally getting motivated after years of indecisiveness :rolleyes:. It's been going now a couple months or so but I'll catch you guys up...

I've had this car for 20 years and got it when I was 15. This is really buildup number 3. Not long after I got it I did the basic things like intake, carb, headers, etc. Then got the racing bug and wanted to build a super street/heads-up car. Went down that road a good ways with the build but priorities got in the way so I never finished it and it sat around for a few years. Then I decided I was older and wiser and heads-up quickly got out of control from a cost perspective so I decided I wanted a driver. So that brings us up to roughly now :). Time to attempt to make it a priority and get some enjoyment out of this heap that's been following me around for so long :D.

And why is it nicknamed project "Urban Legend?" When you've had one in pieces as long as I have this one friends and family always seem to ask about the status. A good friend of mine said a few years ago that it was like an urban legend because everyone had heard about it but not many had seen it. Guess it kinda fit :(.

So the plan is roughly:

Exterior:
Mostly stock. Maintain the classic heritage of the car. Chrome bumpers, etc.
DSE mini tub
DSE subframe connectors
VWW V45 17" front 18" rear

Interior:
Factory replacement stuff
Maybe some basic Recaros that don't look too out of place. Maybe ProCars
4 point rollbar w/removable harness bar
Decent sound system

Front Suspension:
Modifed OEM subframe
Speedtech UCA/LCA
QA1 D/A coilover conversion
Hollow swaybar
Basic Wilwood 4 piston setup (clear 15" wheels)

Rear Suspension:
G-link w/Fab9
-OR-
12 bolt, 3" drop leafs with Speedtech billet shackles

Drivetrain:
496 big block (resisting the LSx temptation...)
4l80e (though I will admit the T56 has been tempting lately)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Leading up to March of this year I was working on stripping down the car while I waited for my turn at the fab shop.

I'm pretty particular and always want to do things myself. I know it will take longer but I won't cut corners, etc and when I get done I am confident in how it was done. Well... after I started on installing my DSE mini-tubs I got frustrated and knew I'd never be able to get the fab work done like I'd want it. I just didn't have the time or patience to build up to the level of welding skill I needed.

So I begin looking for a shop. You guys see all the same builds I see online and at the shows and know there are a few great shops around. Finding one in reasonable driving distance isn't as easy. Fortunately I ran across Dan Holohan who had recently opened up his own shop(Holohan's Hot Rods) after many many years in fabrication including years at Rad Rides and DSE. I spoke to him a few times, exchanged some emails about my plans, budget, etc. He was very helpful, easy to talk to and I got the impression he was passionate about this. Just like many skills, you can teach the basic technique and develop skill level over time but passion to do it you just gotta have from the get go.

So here is how it started once I dropped my heap off in March.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing we decided to just have it blasted. I knew I needed a driver's side quarter, outer wheelhouse, tailpanel, and floor patches at minimum. After blasting it was worse than expected. Good to know this up front and get it fixed but it still hurts :(. I guess the first 20 years of the car's life must have been rough cause this sure didn't happen over the last 20 that it has spent in the garage.

What was the dash

Flintstone toeboard

Rear glass channel

Patched tail panel

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right off the bat Dan started on the firewall and installation of the DSE fill panel. He is really an artist with metal. Now if I only had the "long bread" so I could just cut all his talent and creativity loose I can only imagine what he'd come up with... :wow:

Unnecessary holes in the firewall were filled, subframe mount holes closed off, panel made to repair my Flintstone toe-board, seams silicone brazed, etc. Looking good. On to the pics...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fast forward to end of April. The quarter removal has started. The trunk pan has been fit and this pic also shows all the bracing that Dan did to ensure things don't move around.

Feeling much better about leaving this part to the pros. Maybe in my next life I'll be gifted with patience with the torch :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As of just a couple weeks ago...

Quarter and tail panel fitment is progressing. Dan asked that I ship him the taillight assemblies since the 3 panels come together in the rear in a way that could impact taillight fit. While those were in route he went ahead and completed finish welding of floorpans, trunk pan, and started dash removal.

One thing Dan suggested that I thought was a good idea was to go ahead and apply the Lizard Skin Sound Control product to the inside of the quarter panels. Not something you can easily do later ;). These are repop panels anyway so this extra mass should help (somewhat) make up for the thinner material used I think. I like the texture of it from what I can see. I'm going to rethink using it other places instead of the mat products I originally planned for.

Another thing I enjoy seeing is every area that is exposed by the R&R process gets cleaned up and coated with paint. They didn't e-coat back in the day so this takes care of the surface rust that developed over the years. One of those things I know I'd take the time to do if I were doing it and it is really nice seeing it done without having to ask for it explicitly.

And more pics...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And now you guys are all caught up to current progress :yes:. No more excuses... I'll keep things updated here as well. I mean that's only fair since Steve's is basically the first forum I ever really followed religiously :cool:.

The driver's side door had some previous work which apparently included drilling holes to pull with. The decision was made to replace the skin. Given the prep and Lizard Skin application to all interior door surfaces I think it was the right decision. Now the passenger's side is jealous :rolleyes: . That door has been "worked" some but nothing too serious. So it doesn't really *need* a skin...

·
Registered
744 Posts
I know how it goes with the "Urban Legend" status. I quit racing my '63 in Alabama in 1992 and tucked it away in the garage. I moved to Indiana in 2001 and brought it with me. Been talking about it ever since I got here. Finally got started on it 3 years ago after a divorce freed up some time and funds. Only two people that I work with have seen the car, but EVERYBODY has heard about it. It's back on the street now, but I'm not quite confident enough in it yet to make the 25 mile trek to work with it. Got a few little bugs to work out before that first road trip. The folks at work are on my tail daily for when I'm finally gonna drive her to work.
Good luck with your project. I'm subscribed so I can keep track!!
Oh yeah - next project is sitting in the front yard - 70 Nova.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I love the name and the meaning behind it (probably because I can relate, ha ha). Looks like your car is going to turn out to be kick a_ss!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm pretty excited to have the project moving forward. Had to swallow some pride to turn this part over to a pro but it is in good hands.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Looks like you found a great shop, that is usually the worst hurdle to get over.

Looking forward to following your build, good luck!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are pics of the recent progress. The mini tubs are done, the dash replaced and the subframe connectors have been fitted.

Hopefully it will wrap up soon so I can bring it home. Oh, and the plan is likely changing some :). I'm seriously considering going T-56 Magnum instead of the 4l80e.

John

1 - 20 of 96 Posts