Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there ya'll,
On this '71 Nova i got a few weeks ago, i'm having some instrument cluster issues. Nothing on it works except the speedo (mechanical) and the GEN light before startup. The turn signals work on the car, but the indicators don't, high beams work but no indication..etc and the Illumination bulbs dont but the heater bulb does, and fuel guage either. Getting 8V to the tank, constant 91 ohms from the sender (sender may be stuck - later problem i'll tackle). Windshield wipers don't work either. What i'm curious about is are these circuits individual or do they use like a common ground or power feed? Kinda odd none work. I'm going to pull the cluster possibly this weekend and get the trusty DVM out.
Thanks in advance
Don

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I assume you hooked up the ground.

Possibly the printed circuit is bad. I think these are repopped.

Ray

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hooked up the ground wire from the spade connector on the back of the instrument cluster, looked like another path was on a flange to the wiper and headlight switch. I connected that to the dash metal bottom area with a sheetmetal screw too. I'm wondering if that connection is not good possibly. Humm
Thanks

Don

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I hooked up the ground wire from the spade connector on the back of the instrument cluster, looked like another path was on a flange to the wiper and headlight switch. I connected that to the dash metal bottom area with a sheetmetal screw too. I'm wondering if that connection is not good possibly. Humm
Thanks

Don
You can take a test light that you use to search for positive wires and hook it up the opposite way. Hook the clip to a positive and use it to find grounds.:yes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the cluster out a couple weeks ago, cleaned it and replaced all bulbs while it was out. The printed circuit is coming apart in a couple places, mainly around the fuel gauge and one corner. I should have ohmed it out while i was messing with it, but it looked ok other than the area by the fuel gauge. After looking at several pic of how it's made, i'm thinking the ground isn't good. This weekend i'm going to (1) make another ground wire and attach it to the metal of the cluser base/illumination area of the printed circuit. (2) Pull the harness plug, clean the contacts with a pink eraser and see if i can clean the printed circuit too, (3) if those don't help, i'll pull the cluster and ohm it out, (4) use the multimeter to see if the harness connector is working.
Thanks for the help
Don

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
On a 67 Chevy truck I built over 30 years back I had to add a ground for the gas gauge as you could see the copper ground was seperated. I just came off of the gas gauge and grounded to the dash and then my gas gauge worked right.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds familiar from past experiences. Right now my gas gauge is pegged at Full. I ohmed out the wire to the gauge from the trunk, got 91 ohms (i think it's about half full so it should have been about 45ohms as these are 0-90ohms sensors). I then grounded the wire from the harness, it should have went to Empty if the gauge worked but nope still at full. I then took my voltmeter and that wire has 8v on it. Humm i thought it should have 12v. I'm pretty sure the in tank portion is stuck at full position, the car sat for 3 years before the guy i bought it from got it, i found rust in a few places i wouldn't expect so i think at one time it may have been underwater. (Ring & Pinion gears have rust on 1/2 of them and the saginaw bearings & gears looked the same way and sound like h*ll too). I replaced the tranny, now it's quiet the rear still roars a little i changed the lube maybe it will help. If not i have a rear out of a 1971 Ventura i'll try eventually. lol
Thanks
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts