Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 71 nova and i am wondering what i can use for a disc brake conversion for the front, i heard that the spindles are the same as an S10 so can i use S10 disc brakes please let me know...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bought a kit from master power brakes, It was a breeze. I'd rather go with a kit, you'll get everything need, and end up paying less. You'll also have a factory look.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
no they wont work, dropped spindle manufactures sometimes use s10 calipers but not spindles

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I used the entire spindle/rotor/caliper from a 72 Chevelle on my old 68 Nova; took about a half hour to do. And it was free!

·
Banned
137 Posts
i am also in the same boat. so far the best deal ive found is www.hotrodsusa.com for $500. then an additional 100 for drop spindles. except i know if i go with the stock brakes im going to want to upgrade to wilwoods in a few months, so i might just wait and buy it all at once. the only problem is, any fancy brakes require larger wheels! and right now i have 14's. so im going to have to spend 1000 on brakes an another 1200 for new wheels and tires!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Here is an idea for you..

Unbolt everything on the stock spindle as it sits. Cut off "1/2" inch on the upper boss, the oversized bolt where the front and rear brake shoe meet at the top, and TADA!!!! , a disc brake spindle. Go to this web site:

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/leadfoot/spindle/drum2disc.htm

There is a wealth of information on that site.

Have fun...

Dan

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Dude Bowtie0069, that's awesome news. So you're saying the 72 Chevelle has all the same dimensions as the 69 Nova? They're rear steer and everything? If I want to get aftermarket rotors, can I still order them for a 69 Nova or do I have to say 72 Chevelle? This is seriously awesome, cuz I can get the whole setup for dirt cheap if it'll really work. :D

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Dude Bowtie0069, that's awesome news. So you're saying the 72 Chevelle has all the same dimensions as the 69 Nova? They're rear steer and everything? If I want to get aftermarket rotors, can I still order them for a 69 Nova or do I have to say 72 Chevelle? This is seriously awesome, cuz I can get the whole setup for dirt cheap if it'll really work. :D

Thanks,
Matt
I know this is a very old thread but the answer is yes, all 68-72 "A" body cars use the same spindle and disk parts as the 68-74 Novas. The steering arms must be changed but that is a simple task. Then just buy parts for a 71 or whatever year NOVA you have. I did mine using a 68 Vista Cruiser as a donor car.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
You can also cut stock drum spindles at the top where the large bolt at the top of the backing plate to fit rotors and buy most of the other parts at any resto place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts