Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all.

I've got a 3 prong connector near the location of the radio area but, I don't know what it connects to. The GM assembly manual doesn't have this in the schematic nor does the GM Chassis, Haynes or Chilton manual.

The 3 wires going into this connection are as follows:

Yellow
DK Blue (looks black)
Gray

Is this for the radio? And if so, is statement correct?

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Blue/Yellow
Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Gray

Dan

·
Registered
921 Posts
Good morning all.

I've got a 3 prong connector near the location of the radio area but, I don't know what it connects to. The GM assembly manual doesn't have this in the schematic nor does the GM Chassis, Haynes or Chilton manual.

The 3 wires going into this connection are as follows:

Yellow
DK Blue (looks black)
Gray

Is this for the radio? And if so, is statement correct?

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Blue/Yellow
Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Gray

Dan

After looking at the wiring diagrams posted here on the site...71's never had radios in them.:no:

Just kidding. Use a volt meter or a test light and check the following:

Yellow should be hot (12v) with the key in the "on" or "acc" position.
The gray should be hot when you turn on the headlights or parking lights.
Black should be a ground. My guess is, your Dk. Blue is probably black and has lost some of its coloring over the 40+ years.

·
6,523 Posts
Just to expand on what Jayhawk500 said:

The gray is a dash light output in that the output can be varied with the headlight switch. You can vary this output from 0 volts to full battery voltage depending on the rotation of the headlight dimmer switch. Some would call it an illumination or dimmable illumination wire.

The yellow wire is a fused accessory 12 volt and the gray is a fused dash light circuit.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts