Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!!! I'm new!

I've done some research on this site, and have been close to fruitless (a few good ideas but only for '78 and up, which I'm not sure is relevant... I don't know 70's cars well...)

My father and I have picked up a Nova project, which will recieve a built 500ci Cadillac engine that we are assembling. It will have roughly 650ft/lbs of torque (Based on dyno sheets of similar builds) and I'm concerned that the half frame design won't hold up. I will say that I will be using a Ford 9" rear end, as well as a set of Summit "Weld on frame connectors" but will this be enough? If not, what is the "Common" way to reinforce this chassis?

On another note, the "front" frame (Not sure of what it's even called) is in great condition, i'm having it sandblasted and powdercoated as well. We're trying to avoid a rollcage, but It may be ineveitable..

Let me know what the more advanced and experienced have come up with!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The subframe connectors will stiffen it up a whole bunch - probably enough. You can also use the bolt-in style and weld them in addition to the bolts.

So what are you going to call it? Something like "Novallac"?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Or cadova? Lol frame connectors will help big time, I just did the comp eng. Ones just like summits. Are you going with coil overs in the rear or multi leafs? Prolly some larger sway bars and I don't see roll bars being necessary. I guess unless of coarse you're hitting the strip and exceeding the time in which there needed. Good luck, sounds like fun

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My 383 is not putting out the numbers your engine is but a respectable 450+.
Front and rear sway bars and frame connectors and it handles like a slot car. Not sure your plans for the car but if it's staying on the street I'm very satisfied with mine...

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
You should consider solid bushings on the subframe as well as subframe connectors. Should stiffen it up nicely.

ray

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I agree with the members above frame connectors would be your choice....

Would like to see the photos of the so called Novallac/Cadova/Nova :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Novallac, that's great. Hate to dissapoint, but I always name my vehicles after women

(2001 Type R Integra Turbo - "Vanessa")
(1995 AWD GSX Eclipse Turbo - "Gabriella")
(2000 KX250 - "Kate")

So dad and I are cooking up something real classy. Also, as you can see, I'm coming from the world of forced induction Imports. My family builds corvettes, but as a 16 year old, that wasn't really an option. So I promised dad, as soon as I was done with college and on my feet, I'd get into "Real Cars" lol so at 25, here I am!

All that being said, I'll throw in the Ford 9" that we have, weld on the frame connectors and call it good. I imagine that will suffice.
Also, I'm going to invest in good mounts, bushings and bolts. So I'll be picking up everything that Prothane, ARP, and Hasport has to offer. As well as a good set of sway bars.

Oh, and I'll be running leafs in the rear (most likely)

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
In the import world, prothane makes mounts and bushings. Who makes a good selection for Novas?
Energy Suspension to name one. I have them on my car and am very happy with them

ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts