Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken on a project for a friend. Previous owner did an engine swap and installed a new underhood wiring harness. they also cut up the under dash wiring to the factory a/c and I no longer have the connectors for the fan switch, blower high speed relay or blower resistor. they installed a toggle switch (no fuse) direct to the blower motor. I have a wiring diagram but can not figure what wire goes where. I have extended the cut wires to the locations of the components but I'm at a loss. Does anyone have photos of the electrical connectors that would show the pin outs and wire colors. I have tried to search the forum but with 192 pages it is taking forever. Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I can take some more photos for you later, but I had this one handy so you can see how the blower resistors and the high speed relay are wired on my 70 with factory AC. This is how they were originally wired. The connector bodies and terminals for the relay are the same "Packard 56" series found throughout the original harness. I'm not sure what type of connector is used on the resistors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Bandit, that helps a lot. If you have anything of the back of the fan switch that would also be a big help.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Wayne,

In case you are not aware, in the "Best of Electrical" section at the top of this Electrical section, ADMIN has posted all the wiring schematics for almost all years?

All your '71 schemas are there and on Page 10 you'll see the fine detail of the Heater Fan Switch and Light.

I think that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Tacocaster for responding. I have looked at the wiring diagrams you reference and they have been a big help with much of the wiring thus far. The problem is that while the diagrams show which wires go to which switch ect. they do not identify which pin they connect to. Also my fan switch for example has 6 terminals and the diagram only shows 5 wires. As for the blower resistor there are 4 terminals but since I don't have the connector I have not been able to determine the proper wire to each of the four. The wiring on this car is a mess and if it were mine I would have just replaced all of the harness with new but the owner doesn't want to do that at this time. Thanks again for responding. Hopefully some one will have additional photos that will give me a visual on what goes where.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm sorry it's VERY hard to get a photo of the fan switch connector due to limited space under the dash. This is the best I could do.

Also in the photo below you can see the switch connector used to turn on the compressor.

I'll see if I can get a better photo later. I only had a minute to try.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
My answer would - - have your friend "Buy a Factory Assembly Manual " for his year Nova .
ALOT of Great info 'in the FAM' . . .
Be aware that most FAM's are "re-prints / copies" ; and, some pages copy better than others .
But for around $ 20 - $ 25 …………….. there Golden . Should Show All that Stuff .

jim . . . . . . . . . ( I bought two each for my 69 ) …. (1 for the shop - 1 for the house ) .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You Bandit and Twinshadows for taking the time to help me. Yes I know that it is next to impossible to get a photo of the switch when the control assy. is in the dash but appreciate your effort. I couldn't be lucky enough to find someone with a dash apart. Mine is in my lap and even then some things are impossible to get to or see. I'm also finding that there are several variations on 71 Nova systems. For example the compressor cut off switch one of the photos is located on top of the air box under the dash on this car. Also they apparently used two different blower resistors, one with 3 wires and one with four. As for the manual, that might be a best bet. Yesterday I found that the wipers don't work, there is no wiring for the radio connection, the LF signal wire has been cut and used for another circuit and the headlight switch is bad thus the source of the interior lights and dash lights not working. I'm beginning to wish I had never taking this project on. I've got over 50 hours in this thus far and nowhere near finished. I will get it if it kills me, or COVID19 "house arrest" which ever comes first. I thank everyone again for your help. I'm not a Chevy guy though I have a restored 69 GMC ambulance and worked for years on fire truck electrical systems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts