Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have this problem? I've seen it on several Novas in my area, but nobody seems to know of a fix. I thought maybe my windshield molding clips are sprung or bent and new ones would help. Any ideas? I've messed with this thing for about 3 hours and no dice. Driver side is OK.

This is the best pic I have right now. The top edge right below the molding sits up 1/4" higher than the fender. Its all in the cowl because the fender lines up perfect with the door. The hood is a little funky in this pic too, but I've fixed
that.

Thanks for any ideas

Andy

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
The clip that holds the trim and the back of the cowl needs to be adjusted. Remove the cowl, loosen the screw securing the trim clip and adjust the trim so it is even. Tighten the screws and install the cowl. If the sheet metal screw is not holding tight the hole is stripped and a larger screw is needed. Before installing a larger screw use a small punch and flatten the metal around the screw hole.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clip that holds the trim and the back of the cowl needs to be adjusted. Remove the cowl, loosen the screw securing the trim clip and adjust the trim so it is even. Tighten the screws and install the cowl. If the sheet metal screw is not holding tight the hole is stripped and a larger screw is needed. Before installing a larger screw use a small punch and flatten the metal around the screw hole.
Hmmm, Ive adjusted those clips 6 ways till Sunday... none of the holes are stripped. Any other ideas? Driver side lays down perfect.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
The clip is what holds the trim and cowl in place, so by repositioning the trim clip the mounting position of the cowl will change. The factory mounting hole may have been improperly drilled. If necessary move the clip to one side (they just slide in the trim), pull it down so the trim is even and drill a new hole to mount it.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clip is what holds the trim and cowl in place, so by repositioning the trim clip the mounting position of the cowl will change. The factory mounting hole may have been improperly drilled. If necessary move the clip to one side (they just slide in the trim), pull it down so the trim is even and drill a new hole to mount it.
I'll guess I'll have to monkey with it some more (I have alot of time in it already)... Ive pretty much tried all your suggestions already, including pulling it down and drilling new holes... I may just go ahead and order new clips for the hell of it...they are cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions

Andy

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
All 6 clips are identical, move them around and see if the problem moves. Mine was raised a little in the same spot, not as bad as yours. Some adjustment on the position of the clips took care of it. Does the cowl lay down okay with the screws along the front left out? Does the trim lay down okay without the cowl in place? Is the cowl panel tweaked?

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All 6 clips are identical, move them around and see if the problem moves. Mine was raised a little in the same spot, not as bad as yours. Some adjustment on the position of the clips took care of it. Does the cowl lay down okay with the screws along the front left out? Does the trim lay down okay without the cowl in place? Is the cowl panel tweaked?
Good things to check, I will definitely try them out next time I decide to spend some time on it. Its actually not quite as bad as in the pic now, the pic was taken the first day I had it all together and I really had not tweaked any of the adjustments on the hood etc.

I swear tho, I think those clips are tweaked or bent. I guess I was mainly trying to see if this was a pretty common thing.

My 72 does not have this issue, and I took that one apart and put it back together too.

I'll add to this post when I get it resolved.

Thanks Phillip :yes:

·
5,132 Posts
just because the fender lines up with the door does not mean the fender is correct where it meets the cowl.
You may have to shim the top fender bolt without loosening the bolt in the door jamb. This will roll the top of the fender upward.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just because the fender lines up with the door does not mean the fender is correct where it meets the cowl.
You may have to shim the top fender bolt without loosening the bolt in the door jamb. This will roll the top of the fender upward.
AH HA! That is a different solution!! And I am going to say, probably the ANSWER!! Will try this.

It totally makes sense because the way I lined the lower windshield molding up across the bottom of the windshield and cowl seems perfect.

Guess this means the hood needs to come off too and readjust hinges too...

Thanks Tech Nova

1 - 11 of 11 Posts