Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 80 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
As for brake booster not having vacuum double check your source vacuum on the carb, make sure it is connected to a port that has vacuum. that being said if it is hooked to the wrong port it will only have vacuum when you hit the gas pedal that port is supposed to be for the vacuum advance.
I would also check wheel cylinders make sure they are not leaking, the right rear is leaking terribly bad on my 78 and it causes a soft pedal and you do have to push harder than normal to stop the car. if none of them are leaking I would try to manually bleed the brakes it seems to be the best way to get air out of the system in most cases.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
As for brake booster not having vacuum double check your source vacuum on the carb, make sure it is connected to a port that has vacuum. that being said if it is hooked to the wrong port it will only have vacuum when you hit the gas pedal that port is supposed to be for the vacuum advance.
I would also check wheel cylinders make sure they are not leaking, the right rear is leaking terribly bad on my 78 and it causes a soft pedal and you do have to push harder than normal to stop the car. if none of them are leaking I would try to manually bleed the brakes it seems to be the best way to get air out of the system in most cases.
I have it plugged into this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not too sure on a holly, check vacuum at that port at idle there should be another port on the side of the carb that has vacuum only when throttle is opened, that is usually the one you run to the vacuum advance the one that has vacuum at idle is what you run the booster off of.
another question I am assuming that after you rev the engine a couple times the brake pedal feels much better if that is the case then yes check your vacuum source. Do you by chance have an open port on the intake manifold? if so you can run the booster off of that.
found this online, I believe the port you should be using for the brake booster is the one pictured in the lower left corner of the carb. This one should have vacuum all the time which will ensure you have it at the booster even at idle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is another one, you should be able to use the one that says PCV and split it to run both the PCV and booster if you have a PCV. neither my nova or el camino have PCV the just have breethers on the valve covers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I need to check my transmission vacuum line. I have a feeling it's not hooked up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
So I have it running and I try to move the car and sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesn't.

I checked the transmission fluid yesterday and it barely touched the dip stick and I put some in and it doesn't seem to be filling up. And I've put maybe maybe a quart in there.

I made filled it up while the car was running and I cycled through the gears while it was filling up.

Does this seem right. How much fluid can it take?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
sounds like your torque converter is low. They take quite a bit. Look under the car, any leaks? Torque convertors can take 12 or so quarts if I remember right. Would keep adding and check after every quart. What did you do to get it running correctly?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
What did you do to get it running correctly?
I basically just gave it a tune up with the help of a friend and changed all of the vacuum hoses, fuel pump, fuel hoses, added a glass fuel filter, tried to flush some crap out of the tank, and messed with the carb floats and adjust ment screws. I have a feeling that that It wasn't getting fuel properly.

Remember I have no experience so it could've been something simple.

The 3 problems I am focusing on now are the car goes in and out of moving, the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and I have to apply alot of pressure to get the car to stop, and I don't have any lights that work.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
brakes should be the first thing you fix. Again, have you looked under the car? Any leaks? How much fluid is in the master cylinder? Are these disc or drum brakes? Original to the car? Anyone work on them lately? You might just need to bleed them but the first thing to look for is leaks. Once you have the brakes fixed. Then move on to the either the lighting problem or the tranny. The tranny sounds like it needs more fluid but again you need to make sure it isn't leaking the fluid right back out either as you are putting it in or when you have the engine running.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Again, have you looked under the car? Any leaks? How much fluid is in the master cylinder? Are these disc or drum brakes? Original to the car? Anyone work on them lately?
Drums all the way around. No leaks that I can see anywhere. There was a brake issue when I bought the car. He was going to take it in but just decided to sell the car for cash. I've bled them multiple times... And did have air in the lines. But still feels the same

I changed the front shoes myself and it feels better.

The brakes do work but I have to really lay into the pedal. They don't feel spongy.

The brake booster isn't hooked up to a vacuum line also. Any ideas whereI need to hook it up. I will include a picture ofthe back of my carb. I've read it might need to be hooked up there.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
brake booster definitely needs to be plugged in. That pretty much can explain the issue you are having with your brakes. It looks like a plug in the intake manifold on the top picture. That may be where your booster should go. You would have to pull that plug and buy the fitting for the booster.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Since you have drum brakes at all 4 corners, be sure to adjust the star wheel on the brake adjuster so that the brake shoes slightly drag on each drum when the drum is installed on the axle and turned.
You also want to make sure you installed the brake shoes correctly. The shorter lined shoe goes towards the front of the car. Below are some photos of the rear brake shoes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
brake booster definitely needs to be plugged in. That pretty much can explain the issue you are having with your brakes. It looks like a plug in the intake manifold on the top picture. That may be where your booster should go. You would have to pull that plug and buy the fitting for the booster.
I pulled that plug and I happened to have that fitting in some parts that came with the car. Hooked it up and will test tomorrow.

I crawled under the car to check the trans Vacuum modulator and it's not hooked up to anything at all.

I am having a little bit of white smoke coming out if the exhaust and that pointed to the modulator.

Can I run a hose and t the line I have running to the brake booster?

·
Registered
947 Posts
The brake booster isn't hooked up to a vacuum line also. Any ideas where I need to hook it up.
As krash55918 has previous stated, you need to remove the round plug in the back of your intake manifold (see photo) and install a 3/8" NPT to barb 90° fitting (see link below for an example).

Note: This type of fitting is also sold at many automotive parts and hardware stores.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Since you have drum brakes at all 4 corners, be sure to adjust the star wheel on the brake adjuster so that the brake shoes slightly drag on each drum when the drum is installed on the axle and turned.
You also want to make sure you installed the brake shoes correctly. The shorter lined shoe goes towards the front of the car. Below are some photos of the rear brake shoes.

Just checked they are installed correctly. But I noticed they look like the shoes aren't touching the drum completely. Is this normal? Kinda like a brake in period?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
As krash55918 has previous stated, you need to remove the round plug in the back of your intake manifold (see photo) and install a 3/8" NPT to barb 90° fitting (see link below for an example).
View attachment 401135
Note: This type of fitting is also sold at many automotive parts and hardware stores.
Done. Little too late to start the car though. I will get back tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just checked they are installed correctly. But I noticed they look like the shoes aren't touching the drum completely. Is this normal? Kinda like a brake in period?
The shoes should slightly touch the drums... No break-in period.
There is a star wheel located at the bottom between the brake shoes. Turn this wheel to move the brake shoes away from each other until the shoes drag on the drum while turning on the axle (yo should hear a slight rubbing noise). If you go too far and can't get the brake drum back on, just lift the metal tab on the top of the star wheel and turn the star wheel a little bit in the opposite direction until you can install the drums.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
your tranny vacuum modulator should be hooked to a fitting on the back of the carburator
I need a list of where everything should go. Literally there weren't any vacuum lines hooked up properly when I got the car.

61 - 80 of 162 Posts