Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have 225/60/15 front, 235/60/15 rears, 8.2 10 bolt with a 3.55 posi and roughly 350 HP.

I am going to install a 700R4 and would like some advice:

1. what covertor size would you recommend, and
2. what type of convertor lock up system did you use and why (there are so many of them out there).

I have looked at BTO, TCI and numerous others.

Thanks for all help.

Rick

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Hi All,

I have 225/60/15 front, 235/60/15 rears, 8.2 10 bolt with a 3.55 posi and roughly 350 HP.

2. what type of convertor lock up system did you use and why (there are so many of them out there).

Thanks for all help.

Rick
The Painless style lock up system seems to be common and works well.As for a converter I would think very consevative,you couldprobably get by with stock.My personal preference would be to keep it below 2400 if its a pure street car.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I'm assuming it's strickly a street car? :confused:

If so I'm sure you don't want a high stall convertor but that depends on what you have into your engine.

If your engine doesn't have too radical of a setup I'd say a stall speed of no lower than 2300 rpm but no higher than 2800 rpm would be comfortable on the street with a lock-up feature a must.

As far as the electrical hook up for the lock-up, there are many on the market. Just make sure you get one that incorporates the brake pedal and/or brake lights. Also when it comes to this, the more you pay doesn't necessarily mean the better it works. There are several "cheap" setups on the market that do the same job that a fancy "expensive" one does.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Rick,

My Nova has 255/60R15 rears, 3.42 posi, and around 300ish HP and I've ran a 700R4 for the past 7 years. It looks to be from an '87 Trans Am and has the factory converter (which I think is around 1800 rpm). The ONLY time I thought I might benefit from a little more holeshot was during a Test & Tune day at Budds Creek. It seemed like it took a second to get up into the power band. In the real-world, it's never been the limiting factor. Usually if I open 'er up, I'm already on a roll.

Incidentally, the lock-up on mine is not connected. When I first put it in, I was doing considerable interstate driving (~300 miles trips) and never had an issue with heat. The extra gear alone was a vast improvement over the TH350 it had for highway RPM. Not saying I wouldn't like to have a lock-up kit, but it hasn't proved to be a show-stopper in my case.

Once I looked into getting a S-10 converter with "high" stall (2000rpm), but the best I could find through Advance/Auto Zone was the "medium" stall version.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks for all help.

Rick
Stock Corvette stall...2080 RPM works great for the street. You can use a brake light switch from an 85 Monte Carlo, or similar car with cruise control, and wire the signal wire(+12V) through the switch...

T,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts