Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a different v8 engine in my 63' soon and I want to change the 2 speed powerglide transmission while I'm at it.

It will be a weekend cruiser that will see about 50% highway time so I'm going with an overdrive transmission. Either the 700r4, 2004r, or 4l60.

There's a shop close to me that has an early 90's rebuilt 700r4 ready to go for $1250. 12 month warranty.

I know that if I go with the 700r4 that I'll have to shorten the driveshaft and probably modify/replace the mount. Those shouldn't be a problem.

I've never dealt with rebuilt transmissions before so I thought I would ask what you guys thought of what they say has been done to it.

Is the following list pretty much what you want to see in a rebuild?

Anything missing that I should know about or ask the shop about?

700r4
Hi-temp 4l65_4 clutches 7 stack up

All new:
Band
Filter
clutches
Seals & gaskets
Bushings
Accumulator pistons
Trans go vb plate
Sonnax sun shell, boot valve & reverse boost valve
Pump veins and hardened rings
Up-graded sprags (springs?)
New 1800-2100 converter

Constant line pressure mod done which changes the tv line to only working the shift points instead of regulating the pressure.

Apparently this mod isn't the TCI Constant Pressure Valve Bodies mod but something else entirely.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can say that's about 700 dollars worth of parts, maybe a little more. I just rebuild my 4L60E in my 2004 Blazer, and parts were 475.00 with no converter.
The Sonnax smart shell is the one to go with, I don't know about how the line pressure works on the 700 I have always heard the tv cable was really important to get adjusted right, maybe they figured something out.

·
Registered
63 SS
951 Posts
I would go for it. I think you roll the dice when you buy a “race ready” trans for +$2500 from a non reputable shop If it’s a shop and they’re offering 1 yr warranty I say it’s decent deal. Get a quote from monster and you might see the convincing difference.

I just picked up a used 700 for $250 from a guy who said he took it out of a running truck. Even if it didn’t run that’s how much a core runs for anyway.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I spent roughly $1700 for my 700r4 with a Super Servo and a shift kit. Been running for 2 years so far without any issues whatsoever. Kicks a little hard but I got used to it after the first couple of months.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I did the usual upgrades and put the TCI constant pressure valve body in and I'm at around 4,000 miles behind a pretty healthy 383 engine with no problems I also did the derale aftermarket pan that has the cooling fins and a transmission cooler mounted under the car with a fan on it. I used the vacuum switch to lock my converter. When the car goes into high gear it locks the converter. So far so good. Been very happy with it. Built by a local guy so if/when something happens he will fix it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Running a 700R4 with a locking converter, lock up is around 55 mph. About 2800 RPM at 80MPH.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like it's a fair price & the right parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts