Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Rebuild Kit - I use Alto Red clutches, stock band (kevlar band won't hold as well - it's not the drum, but the pressure on the surface of it - stock exerts more force - or so i'm told.) and whatever seals they give me over the counter at my local tranny parts house.
Shift Kit - TransGo is the only one i'll use in a 700.
Here's the one I'd recommend - street mainly right? This kit has several options - when you read thru it, be honest and use the stage you will drive daily - or strip daily...My first one I put in I did the stage 3 (step before full manual) and boy did it shift! Too hars for the street though.
See details TransGo 700R4 Street/Strip Shift Kit 1982-1986 w/Accumulator Piston w/seal & Corvette Servo
Part Number: TGSSSK70082+ACC+CVSTHis is the early model case - if yours is 87 up (best case by the way) use this one: TGSSSK70088+ACC+CVS

Beast shell is good, but you'll also want to get:
Pump kit - easy to install
Corvette Servo
Boost Valve

With these upgrades you can ensure a happy 700 for years to come. If you are planning on more track time - get the Sonnex 2nd gear servo just to be safe.
I've done several of these but am in no way an expert - but i'll answer any questions I can.

Oh and here's a link to some upgrade parts - you can shop anywhere - part numbers are in here to google from. https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/home.php?cat=52

·
Registered
527 Posts
I plan on tearing the old one down next month. This will be my first tranny rebuild.
Buy the ATSG Rebuild book! It will show you how to assemble and upgrade to the latest specs any 700 you have. It also shows you how to test your clutch packs BEFORE you install them into the tranny - using air compressor.

Make sure you have tools to compress the clutch packs so you can remove/install the snap rings. When I first started I went and bought some of those gripping wood clamps but they were big and didn't leave room for the snap ring...then i went to a piece of all-thread with a U shaped strap welded on one end and a flat strap and nut/washer on the other.

DONT use feeler gages to install the seals! They will cut them - instead, use a piece of 6" copper tubing (any diameter) with some mechanics wire looped in the end - hammer down the end of the copper to hold the loop - seal installer! (do both ends!) Use feeler gages to ensure you have the right gaps in the clutch packs ONLY.

You should rent/buy/borrow the shaft seal sizing tool - not sure of another way to do this - My first I simply worked it into place, but got lucky - next one I did same and cut one of the teflons...only had one gear and that was a booger to figure out!

Clean table - plenty of room - you will need a way to hold the tranny up and down - I cut a hole in a piece of 3/4 plywood and screwed it at the edge of the bench and put the tranny into that hole - worked great.

Many years later, I have most of the 'correct' tools now...but you can do it on the cheap with ingenuity! (don't fret if you don't get it the first time!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts