Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a TCI lock up kit for a carb car and need the two wire TCC solenoid. Can anyone tell me if a 89' 700R4 has the two wire stock? I am working with an 85' that has been upgraded for towing, and have a 89' in the garage also but dont want to make even more of a mess finding out.

·
3,874 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the 700-R4 and 200-4R solenoids are two wire. Easy to find and fairly cheap too.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I use the B&M adjustable switch for my 700r4. It has a speed sensor so you can adjust it to lockup at a certain speed. But yeah, two wires, 12+ and ground. JR

oops, my bust, I just noticed you need a solenoid Solly :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am going the vacume switch route, the solenoid I pulled had the neg side of the coil soldered to the chassis. Seems it would be easy to connect it to a wire, but I am not sure of the current required with this unit versus the two wire unit. They are ordered and on the way.

On another note TV cable adjustment as witnessed from inside the pan... I noticed the springs internally hold the lever off the piston. Is the first 28 degrees of movement to close this gap or should the cable be drawn tight to make contact with the piston in the valve body at minimum throttle?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
the vacuum switch is a BAD idea.

been used twice with 2 customers and bad result.

When the transmission locks up, the engine load is increased causing lower vacuum and causing the switch to cut off over drive, then vacuum increases and it goes back into overdrive., then back out, then back in, over & over.

This all happens multiple times causing a shutter effect.

This is a know fact by the makers of the vacuum switch.

If they tell you "NO" they are lying!

Be warned! Vacuum switch bad idea.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts