Chevy Nova Forum banner

700R4 in 64 Nova SS

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bestpart 
#1 ·
Looking for any feedabck on Lokar (cable) shifters used in a 64 SS with 700R. Appreciate any feedback positive or negative, also looking for any other recommendations, want to use the original console and keep a somehat original look if at all possible.

thanks

#2 ·
i used one on my old chevy truck. Loved it.

I also rebuild trannys on the side - hobby of mine...

Make sure you ge the correct carb bracket to hook up your TV cable to the throttle. Also make sure it is adjusted correctly as this is the easiest way to burn up a tranny.

the fool proof method is to remove the pan once tranny is installed - before you fill it with fluid preferably...
Have someone hold the throttle to WOT, and adjust the cable to make sure the belcrank pushes the TV valve/plunger flush with the valve body.

Good luck!

#4 ·
I did not think 64's had consoles:confused:The trans fits in the tunnel Ok with a little dimpleing hear and there,TV cable set up correctly is critical for the 700r to survive.All of the ones I have done so far used the Lokar rod style shifter with a 4 speed hump.

#6 ·
What? Brian, you're not a first genner, are you?:D LOL

Here's what I have:

64 SS
700r4
Console

Since it has a 4 speed style hump for the console, I didn't touch the floorpan at all. The cooler lines on the other side are very close, though.

Shiftworks and Lokar make shifters that would work with the stock console.

HTH, Tim

#8 ·
64 SS Console

Sorry, I could have clarified a little better, my car is an original powerglide, so car did come with consol, only 4 speeds didn't have the console... Thanks everyone for your comments I will look at both the shiftwaorks and Lokar...

Thanks

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.