Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My 1971 Nova needs a driver door. All I have is a pic of my 71's passenger door (upper pic), but it will give you the idea about my door handle location. As you can see, I have a pic here (lower pic)of a 1970 door that is for sale. It seems to me that the areas around the handles are a bit different. Can you give me your opinion to see if the 70 door will work on my 71? thanks a lot. Let me know if you need any more info. I notice in the catalogs that door latches are available up to 1970 so I wonder if there are some real differences...

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Jay I could be wrong but I'm sure 68 is the odd ball door with handle & lock in different location pretty sure 69-72 are straight forward re&re 69& early 70 use bolt on hinge but should still be interchangeable with late 70 to 72.
Paul

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Jay. Taz and I are on the same page here. 68's have differences, but the 69' to 72' doors should swap no problem at the hinge pin joint. Are you sure of your donor door year? Or your 71' door is really a 71?

Are you trying to swap the door internals as well and not just the entire door intact? It seems so, but why?

You've got me wondering what's up as well.

It's too hard for me to comprehend the prob from the pics too. :(

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
yeah, you called it joe..it looks like if i see the top pic correctly its a pass door, if that the case the handle needs to be farther down to the right ( the lower hole ) those 3 holes is what your remote bolts, then when you pull your handle up its pulls the rod forward witch realeases your latch

i had to buy one and actully made a 68-69 camaro door remote work..

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"Isnt the Door Handle on your 71 Door on the Window Regulator?"

good eye, Joe. Now its all coming back to me.....I tore this car apart years ago. Must have used the door handle to lower the window. That's prolly the closest thing laying around. I'm actually picking up the 70 door tomorrow night. It's gonna HAVE to work now :)

And yes, I will keep the 70 door internals where applicable. good idea! thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I didn't think you over looked that,it's like not seeing the forest for the trees.I'm glad it's a simple fix for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts