Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got (what I believe is) the original rear glass for my '70. I intend to tint the windows all around, but I would like to remove the greenish tint from this rear glass first. Is that possible or is the tint made into the glass? I've watched several tutorials on removing old tint so I'm ready for the grunt work, but I didn't want to go scraping away at the glass if it's a pigment mixed into the glass itself. Is that a thing? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I may be wrong but if you look in the corner of the window it should say "soft ray" if it is the factory green tint.
I don't think you can remove it but you should be able to add the tint you want over it(?)

·
Registered
423 Posts
70'Tint made into glass or removeable?

I also have the original rear glass in my 72 and it had the green tint. I have since had it professionally tinted using 3M film with no issues at all. And it looks good, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you. I don't recall any lettering so I'll take a shot at removing it. I was mostly concerned with what it would look like if I put other tint over the greenish tint, but I'm glad to hear yours looks good.

I called a local window tinter and he said no glass ever came with tint in it and that he would have to remove it if I didn't. Didn't sound quite right, which is why I asked. Maybe I need to shop around a little more before getting tint.

Now I'm wondering if having the factory tint front window gets you around newer "no tint on the front glass" laws. Seems like I'm always driving toward the sun.

·
Registered
423 Posts
70'Tint made into glass or removeable?

According to the laws in my province - Yes, I took the time to review them as you should, Factory tint is exempt on the front and side glass (driver/passgr). So , when I replaced my front windshield I went with the Factory green tint and dark upper tinted band. My (driver/pasgr) side windows are originals with factory tint.

Having said all that, many beautiful cars have heavily tinted windows all around here in my province and are never bothered by Mr. Law. But those same guys are not laying one or two lanes of rubber down through the donut they just created in every mall parking lot and street they drive on either.
'said another way...those who seek attention soon get it!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My rear glass has no lettering on it, but after three attempts to get it off or even start a little peel I've decided that it's either made into the glass or the best tint job of all time.

Front windshield: I researched and made some calls and there is no grandfather clause for original tinted glass. So I'm debating whether to chance it or suck it up. It could be an expensive decision if the cops around here are sticklers. I don't plan to do any hot rodding, but sometimes these country cops get bored.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts