Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have a 70 nova with a sbc that I want to mate with a t56. My question is, can I use a mechanical linkage and clutch with this trans or do I have to go hydraulic? It's a lt1 t56(96)

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the LT1 T56 in my 1969 Nova and while I an certain some sort of mechanical solution could be engineered, I would say it is simply not worth it. I am using factory LT1 hydraulics with the mounting bracket from Detroit Speed.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1968-1974 Nova-Products/070424-cylndr-brckt-n.html

To bolt up to the factory mounting hole on the pedal I made my master cylinder adjustable as mentioned in the link below.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/317767-stock-adjustable-master-cylinder-writeup.html

Keep the faith, the T56 is a killer transmission. It is worth the work.

Don

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links! Is it true that a mechanical single disc clutch can hold more power than a dual disc hydraulic clutch? And is cheaper?

Jim

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Jim,

To the best of my knowledge, the style of clutch release (Hydraulic of mechanical) has little to no influence on the power holding capacity of that clutch.

The power holding capability of a clutch is derived by the clutch disc surface area and its friction material. Single discs are almost always less expensive due to the fact they are less complex than a dual disc and little R&D is required as they are largely based of an existing OE design.

Single discs are by far and away the most common and will do the job well 99.5% of the time, given that everything all components are properly selected, all else is set up properly and the driver has a decent idea on how to properly drive a manual transmission.

Best,
Don

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks don for the explanation, I'm just uncertain of which clutch to choose. My nova will be making 600 crank horsepower. Streetability isn't a big issue because its not a daily driver. Plus my previous trans am was driven on the street with a spool haha. And I've been driving manual most of my life.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I have the LT1 T56 in my 1969 Nova and while I an certain some sort of mechanical solution could be engineered, I would say it is simply not worth it. I am using factory LT1 hydraulics with the mounting bracket from Detroit Speed.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1968-1974 Nova-Products/070424-cylndr-brckt-n.html

To bolt up to the factory mounting hole on the pedal I made my master cylinder adjustable as mentioned in the link below.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/317767-stock-adjustable-master-cylinder-writeup.html

Keep the faith, the T56 is a killer transmission. It is worth the work.

Don
Jim,

You *might* be able to put something together, but I personally haven't seen anything great and I've been looking a while. I sold my LT T56 and will be going LS to keep the mech linkage.

To use the LT, I've heard you need the special flywheel, an LT clutch/TO/Hydraulics, and the usual other stuff like mount, etc.

If you are going through with it and need a trans crossmember, I have one I will not be using.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks bill, well right now I can get a lt1 t56 for dirt cheap. I would have liked to do a mechanical linkage but if I can just use the stuff I have I think I'm going to go with the lt trans with hydraulic clutch. Pm me about the crossmember, I'm only like an hour away from you.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Thanks bill, well right now I can get a lt1 t56 for dirt cheap. I would have liked to do a mechanical linkage but if I can just use the stuff I have I think I'm going to go with the lt trans with hydraulic clutch. Pm me about the crossmember, I'm only like an hour away from you.
Keep in mind that the flywheel you need is not cheap. I think around $400?

Ted is supposed to come down and look at my T/A for Alex, but I dunno if that's happening or not? If so you can save a trip.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, well I need to buy a flywheel anyway for the 400. I'll talk to ted though. It's expensive but I have everything else I need already

·
Registered
332 Posts
How well does the T56 fit the Nova tunnel?

I have a Tremec TKO-600 and had to hack the entire top portion off...

I do run mechanical (stock) linkage though...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Supposedly it needs to be given some adjustments to fit properly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How well does the T56 fit the Nova tunnel?

I have a Tremec TKO-600 and had to hack the entire top portion off...

I do run mechanical (stock) linkage though...
I can guarantee you will need to mod the tunnel with a LT1 T56 and a G-Force crossmember. You might be able to split and spread it, but I had a new tunnel formed by my local hot rod shop.

Best,
Don

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ok, thanks.

I wondered if the T56 has a more slender case...guess that ain't so.

Sure do love the modern trans though!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can guarantee you will need to mod the tunnel with a LT1 T56 and a G-Force crossmember. You might be able to split and spread it, but I had a new tunnel formed by my local hot rod shop.

Best,
Don
I have a LT1 T56 in my 72 and all i had to cut was the shifter hole. I made my own crossmember.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a LT1 T56 in my 72 and all i had to cut was the shifter hole. I made my own crossmember.
How were your driveline angles? The best we could manage was 6* down with the stock tunnel. We ended up with 2* down after we lifted the tunnel.

I could imagine that much variation in body production is possible, but it still seems like a lot. Glad it was nearly bolt in for you!

Don

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good info here...I am going to continue my research and attempt (with some smart friends) a T56/hydraulic in my 69.
What is everyone running for ratios? My trans guy is suggesting getting rid of the 3.89 rear gear for 3.24 or 3.50's.
Trans ratios in the T56 would be 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .80 .50 MAGNUM TZ.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts