Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Chris and I'm a new member from Long Island, NY. I recently took a U-haul trailer on a 14 hour round trip to New Hampshire to pick up an old school '70 Nova drag car. The car looks to have been built in the 90's based on the parts used in the build. It's back halved, tubbed with Vari-Shock coilovers in the rear and Ultima 12 rear end. The engine is a small block Chevy, but I have absolutely no information about the internals other than that. The transmission is also a mystery. The car was a drag car for a long time, and my goal is to get it back to 100% street duty while keeping "the look". It has no factory wiring left, no lights, and lexan windows. The goal is to run a Weiand 8-71 with no hood, or a flat hood cut to fit, and to bring the interior back to a level where it's more enjoyable to drive. I intend to drive the living hell out of it.

The car had New England dragway stickers all over it when I got it, does anyone on here recognize it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That will be a great looking car if you can get those rear tires up inside the wheel wells where they belong!
Honestly, I like the way it sits. I'm going to rebuild the coilovers and run it the way it is. It looks like a Ratfink drawing right now and that's half the appeal of the car.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,360 Posts
hey . . . . . . . . . 70SS = Chris , Welcome to SNS , with u'r "Black Nova" . . . . . . . . very cool , indeed .

later , jim

Reactions: 70 SS

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys! I’m sure there will be some people who don’t care for a build this radical, but a “street machine” look is what I’m after. I hope to start a build thread on this car here in a few days. I will have a lot of questions moving forward and I’m extremely grateful for the help.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
2,463 Posts
Hello Chris and welcome to the site! You have a very cool looking Nova and I am looking forward to seeing it's transformation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind words and for the warm welcome! I've been gathering parts for the interior and for the blower install. First order of business is to trim the carpet around the cage and dye it black, then swap out the old cloth seat for a Procar Pro Street bucket. Dash pad coming soon also. I'd like to move onto the steering wheel next, but I need some help. The stock column is long gone, and there's just a... rod with a spline on the end? There's an old Grant wheel that I want to swap for a stock wheel, but the stock wheel won't bolt onto this Grant adapter. Can someone help me find the right parts to get the stock wheel bolted on? Pics below:

Here's what I find when I remove the old Grant wheel:

Pic of old wheel and new stock wheel I'd like to replace it with:

Shot of old interior and a random pic of the new Scat seat:

·
Registered
1973 2 door sedan 350 / 350
399 Posts
Welcome aboard
What a awesome car !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just been tinkering in the garage the past few days while I’m waiting on the blower carbs, fuel lines and linkage. Got the pulleys, idler, and carb adapter plate mounted on the 8-71…
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tableware Automotive lighting
Hood Electronic instrument Gas Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I also mounted the stock wheel to get a feel for it while I’m waiting for a replacement steering column to come in the mail.

Vehicle Car Steering part Steering wheel Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 48 Posts