Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here are the final pic's of the 70 with the new rear quarter installed, All things considered, the quarter panel went on without too much difficulty. Only a few 4 letter expletives were spoken in the transition. ha ha ha...
yeah, considering all of the metal that was moved around on this car, I was surprised that I didn't have to heat things up with a torch and stretch items on the body, so i must have done something right.
Door gap was pretty consistent , just have to put bushings in the driver door hinges, cause it has the chevy flop when you open the door. The big grind gets done tomorrow and if there is enough time left in the day, I'll start setting the rear filler panel in place and before I set everything down and weld it in place, I will need to modify the filter panel for the billet gas cap.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Font
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Car
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In life they tell you, "Never Assume anything", well, I did and now after rolling under the Nova and looking at the differential from the upside down world, I noticed the rear end is wider than its suppose to be, like probably 3 Inches wider!! Crap Crap Crap.... Now I hear ya, you didn't notice that when you had the diff out??? As Goofy once said, Ah Nope Nope nope!! So now I have 2 rear ends that don't fit without modifying the car, both of what is not going to happen...
So, I'm going to use the rear differential out of the 67 Camaro until I get the 68 Camaro home and can take that rear end out of that one, then that one will get the minibus and 4 link setup.
I will have to reseal the differential and clean the hell out of it, but fortunately for me, I have one that will work. Its just a pain in the Arse to have to swap rears out once I had it already installed.
In case you are wondering, the driver side wheel fits nicely, looks like it will barely scrub the inside wheel well, but the passenger side sticks out to where the portion of the tires hits the lip, so this is definitely a no bueno situation.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well another day another day no one reads the blog, uh, well, life goes on another 43 days until we finish this trip around the Sun.. LOL.
But I did get the trunk filler panel removed, another 100 plus welds and more rust, so I set everything up for the install on the lower panel and ordered a new upper filler panel. YAAAYYY, More new metal.. yuk yuk yuk,
Also got the welds all ground down, except for the drivers door jamb, just thought of that. Oh well, It gives me something to do tomorrow.
Was thinking of going to the Good Guy's car show this weekend, but was wishing the entry fee was cheaper, Dam, $25 friggin dollars to LOOK at the beaters on the grass.. Don't get me wrong, there are some bad A$$ rides, but come on man, $25.
Here
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

are a couple of pic's of the trunk area in partial completion. I did grind all of the welds down and took a thin blade cutoff wheel to form the corner edges so you can't tell there are welds on the seams.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Trunk Motor vehicle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Another day another thing or two finished. Today Being Saturday, I was thinking of going to the movies, that is until I realized there ain't **** on the movies, So, I spent the day adventuring around the 70 seeing what i could get done. Just so happens I got the speaker tray welded into place and I finished up the rear seat support and prepped that for install tomorrow or Monday, which ever floats my boat. I also noticed on the fine reproduction quarter panel, that it was mis-stamped and the mating edges were higher and the beveled edge that goes around the window was wider at the top where it should be the same size as the matching upper edge. So after finishing the grinding of the welds around the window/Door and fender well, I grabbed the thin bladed high speed cut off wheel and proceeded to cut some lines on the top of the quarter panel right next to the body contour at the seam where the roof and the quarter meet, then I had to cut downward right next to the body line that goes around the window channel, Taking my time and running the high speed up and down the cut line several times until it finally dropped through and to not cause too much heat on the panel.(No like too much heat, HEAT BAD).
Well the cut lines came out very nicely, Now I have to press the metal together and tack weld the cut while keeping the new form to the panel. SHAZAM, got it, now to take the grinding disc to it and smooth the welds over and check the contour. Worked out pretty darn good if I say so myself, very happy with the fit.
Now Tuesday I should get the other panel to the rear deck area, finish welding that on and throw the back window in there. slowly but surely its starting to come together.
I took the hinges apart sanded and painted them gloss black, the interior of the trunk is going to be black, not the color of the car, easier to maintain if you scratch the paint.
So time for some pictures.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive design

Membranophone Drum Hood Musical instrument Idiophone

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Man that looks like a lot of work! Turning out pretty nice. You are moving right along.
it was one of those things where I was JUST going to replace the quarter panel and then my OCD kicks in every time.. As I tell my wife, it keeps me out of the Bars...LOL
Thanks
I have a dilemma , I was going to paint it white with black accents, but then I kind of want to go with like a Lemans Blue.. Not sure though..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I've got two white vehicles I take care of. I like white but it's a pain to keep up with. I've always liked blue on these Novas. But it's your ride.
Thanks for the input, I have never painted any of my cars white, always some exotic colors with pearls and then other cars with blues and reds, I did paint my step sons Firebird Trans Am tribute car white with the Tyrol Blue, which looked stunning, but that is a different body style then the Nova. This is what I am looking at doing to my 70, I like the carbon fiber looking hood, I would do it in just a satin with possibly some rally in a ghost white pearl and then I am going to put a Camaro rear spoiler on the rear (not the gaudy wrap around spoiler, but the small first gen type of spoiler). Then possibly following the same lines of blacked out bumpers possibly in a gloss black, But NO STICKERS.. LOL
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
No work on the 70 today or yesterday, : ( Working on the other priority in my life... My Daughters 67 Camaro. Had to have a final conversation with her about color and her definitive answer is 2010 Camaro Sunshine YELLOW with white ghost rally stripes. Although i am not a fan of Yellow by any means, it is a very STRIKING Color (LOUD), that is her favorite color, so be it.. But I have been working on the floor the past couple of days, stopped on the Nova, (needed a break from it anyway) Was waiting for the rear speaker panel secondary panel to come from AMD, so I was kind of at a stand still anyway.
If anyone has installed a full floor in a first gen Camaro, I think you may agree it is a pain in the arse to line the floor up and get everything lined up with only ONE person, I know the same goes for the Nova, something tells me they are VERY similar. But, have been working on that for the past couple of days, finally my good friends ZIP SCREWS came to my aid. Got the floor pan to sit flush with the frame rails and now to clamp everything close as possible and then install the front subframe. Having a bit of difficulties with the front sheet metal matching up with the front lower toe panel.(Yes, this car had every bit of sheet metal replaced in the front body of the car. Upper Cowl/Mid Cowl/Lower cowl/Tulip panels and outer tulip panels.... Can you say WHAT A Friggin Rust Bucket!!! Its all new metal, except for the door jamb/upper A pillars and rocker panels. For those interested, here are a couple of pictures of the car (Yes, its a CAMARO) as it sits right now, almost ready for body work and paint.
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Hood
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
1964 SS Hardtop
1,095 Posts
it was one of those things where I was JUST going to replace the quarter panel and then my OCD kicks in every time.. As I tell my wife, it keeps me out of the Bars...LOL
Thanks
I have a dilemma , I was going to paint it white with black accents, but then I kind of want to go with like a Lemans Blue.. Not sure though..
Blue is nice. I'm planning on doing mine in indigo blue. Silver looks great on that generation too.

I wish I had the skills to go that deep into the metal work. Keep it up. It's looking good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Blue is nice. I'm planning on doing mine in indigo blue. Silver looks great on that generation too.

I wish I had the skills to go that deep into the metal work. Keep it up. It's looking good.
Thanks, I was somewhat thrust into the mix of body work and panel replacement, fortunately for me I have had good neighbors that were experienced boy shop tech's that helped me along the way. But remember the old adage, measure twice cut once. well in the body realm, its fit 15 times and weld once. LOL Just taking your time is paramount.
Today is back to the regular stuff day, took yesterday off for Turkey and relatives, its always nice sharing time with friends and family.. But hopefully today, I can get the rest of the back window done and set the trunk lid on and fix any mis-alignment that may occur. Then if I have enough time I am going to finalize the full floor install in the 67 Camaro

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Spent some time today cleaning out the old headliner heat shield/ sound deadener, WOW, was this stuff dried out. I ended up just taking the air hose to it and blasting everything out of the cracks and creases, What a mess, dropped everything out from under the dash and wiped it down to prep it for some FATMAT sound deadener. Good stuff, Was going to do some work on the Camaro also, but got carried away working on the 70.
Here is the Nova with its new sound deadener installed, so now tomorrow, I will have to do the Camaro, get that closer to finished, need to get the Camaro down on the ground also, need to clean the pad under the car and prep it for engine and transmission install, as with the 70...
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts