Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so, I want to swap out my old drums in the rear for a nice new set of discs. I have been looking at various kits, like this one for instance:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1623/overview/

The kit says it will not work with "staggered" shocks. Looking at my rear axle, one side shock connects behind the axle housing, and the other side connects in front. I assume this is what they mean by staggered.

Now, that said, I am wondering if the Nova came stock this way or if the previous owner staggered the shocks. From the look of it, the mounting plates for the shocks appear to be stock but I really don't know.

What can you all tell me about this minor problem?

Thanks - Bart

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The shocks are staggered from the factory. Lots of us have done conversions using all-GM parts off of vehicles such as 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird (so-called LS1 brake swap), or S-10 Blazer rear disc set ups. Use the search function and look for rear disc conversions, there are lots of threads with tons of useful information, pictures and part numbers. If you're willing to do a little leg work, and get your hands dirty, it's very rewarding to do this type of swap, and you end up with brakes that are easy to get parts for at any local shop.

Gerry

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Gerry. I have seen a lot of the different swaps, etc.

I guess I don't see the point of doing a big swap, especially considering that I have read staggered shocks are better anyway. I definitely need to do more research. I don't race my car or anything like that, just looking for a better setup with more reliable stopping power.

Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, he is and yes they are Cadillac units. He's also correct regarding them being a PITA to bleed and most annoyingly getting the e-brake adjustment.

Likely if you're good with brakes or at the very least extremely patient, you'll have no problem but be aware they can make a mockery of your skills. :yes:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, he is and yes they are Cadillac units. He's also correct regarding them being a PITA to bleed and most annoyingly getting the e-brake adjustment.

Likely if you're good with brakes or at the very least extremely patient, you'll have no problem but be aware they can make a mockery of your skills. :yes:
Hi Guys
Couldn't agree more with the above comments, the E brake really sucks, I cant get it to adjust no matter what I try, which is a real pain because we have to have a working E brake for our ministry test. good job my brother is a tester.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

cheers Ian:uk:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, well, maybe this will help. Basically, this is what I am after:

1) Rear disc brake swap that won't break the bank
2) Rear disc brake swap that will still let me use my 15" rally wheels
3) Rear disc brake swap that (hopefully) won't force met to change my shocks from the stock staggered position

Any suggestions? I am open to changing the shock orientation if it's goiig to break the bank and will give me better handling and off-the-line hook up.

My car is a 70 SS and is basically stock. Eventually, I think I might pull the 350 and install a 383 Stroker crate motor, so please keep that in mind.

Any help or suggestions would be great. There is just SOOOOO much out there for the Nova, I find it hard to narrow down which direction to go...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
OK, well, maybe this will help. Basically, this is what I am after:

1) Rear disc brake swap that won't break the bank
2) Rear disc brake swap that will still let me use my 15" rally wheels
3) Rear disc brake swap that (hopefully) won't force met to change my shocks from the stock staggered position

Any suggestions? I am open to changing the shock orientation if it's goiig to break the bank and will give me better handling and off-the-line hook up.

My car is a 70 SS and is basically stock. Eventually, I think I might pull the 350 and install a 383 Stroker crate motor, so please keep that in mind.

Any help or suggestions would be great. There is just SOOOOO much out there for the Nova, I find it hard to narrow down which direction to go...

Thanks!
I'm running rear disc brakes from a 93-97 Camaro/Firebird. I had to use two right-side calipers (in order to get the bleeders at the top). But I'm using aftermarket brackets like the ones linked below. If you're willing to piece everything together using junkyard parts, these brackets should allow you to make it work very inexpensively. You might have to drill new holes to orient the calipers out of the way of the shocks, but that's easy.

http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i29.html

I got my parking brake cables made by Control Cables. They were inexpensive, and they're great quality.
http://www.controlcables.com/

All of this works with 15" wheels as long as they are for a disc brake car, not a drum brake car.

Gerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts