Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Figured I would start a build thread for some motivation. The car is a 70' I bought about this time last year. I have been tinkering with it since I bought it. The car was originally a 6cyl/ manual car. The previous owner had the car for 19 years and had put in a 68' 327 with a healthy cam, TH400, and a 9 inch. He mainly took the car to the 1/8th mile and a couple of years ago kissed the wall with the front end.

I have been taking pictures of almost everything I have done so far, so if things seem out of order your going to have to deal with it :D

This is my photobucket account: http://s44.beta.photobucket.com/user/jtw792/library/

Some pictures of the car right before I bought it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more. The car was pretty stripped for drag racing. Of course he threw away the rear seat. Really the seller was fairly honest about the condition, but the tires where 100% flat the morning after I bought it. Just ticked me off that he didnt tell me the tires leak. I expected toss them, not like I wouldnt have bought it. (End Rant)

The first thing I did was rebuild and add an electric choke to the 650 holley. The entire main body of the carb was monted 180 degrees reversed (backwards) on the base plate. It was weird. Started much more easily after that.

Next thing I did was get a whole truck bed of parts from the other side of the state. Bumpers, carpet, headliner, fender, trunk divider, body bolt kit, interior screw kit, taillights, and whole bunch of little parts.

Both bumpers were dented and twisted, and 3 of the 4 brackets were bent in the front. got some new brackets for the front, and dropped it off to get powder coated. At the same time I painted the grille "SS" style, got the new fender aligned, and figured out all the right bolts for the front clip.

Of course the sub frame had slid back on the passenger side from smacking the wall. So it was natural time to replace the mounts. Went with Global West solid mounts, which were very nice.

After I got this done I drove it around most of the summer. Loved driving the car, the manual drums actually worked well for what they are. I ended pulling off the 3" bullet mufflers because they were ridiculous. I put on a summit 2-1/2" exhaust (no power difference). As soon as I put the real mufflers on, I realized the car had a gear drive :eek: Never heard it before then.

In the mean time bought a house with a shop which was awesome, but of course drained the Nova account for some time.

That catches us up to October or so:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have mentioned that I planned swapping an LS motor in this car from the start. I actually bought a complete 01' 5.3L for $550, then stole alot of parts of it and put them on an 03' LQ4 6.0L. I actually sold the 5.3L for same price after I took the parts I wanted. This all before I even bought the Nova. I will get back to that later.

Next I found a rear seat and got it recovered. Also got some PUI rear door panels and the package tray installed. I was going to do the headliner but I decided to work on the body. I initially was going to leave it and paint next year but the paint was so bad I just couldn't stand it. The floor pans were in decent shape but the passenger side by the feet needed to be patched. The PO owner used a 5 gal bucket of silicone to cover up the holes.

I will give some more updates/ pictures tomorrow. Feel free to tell what I am doing wrong, I am figuring this out as I go along:D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Looks good, also good job on the LM7 to Lq4 upgrade. I did the same but when i rebuild the LQ4 i used a kit for the Lq9 so i got more compression. Look forward to seeing your progress and over on the LSX forum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice ride looks alot like mine even down to the Hurst Auto Stick III,

big shop too,

Keep the update coming nice to see pics,

·
Registered
373 Posts
good choice with the LS motor. Looks like it should be fun build. Are you planning on any power adders? I wouldn't sweat that floor plan. There pretty easy to swap out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What size tire/wheels on the rear of that.. they look awesome... was it mini tubbed??

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good choice with the LS motor. Looks like it should be fun build. Are you planning on any power adders? I wouldn't sweat that floor plan. There pretty easy to swap out.
I would like to add a turbo after I get the motor in and running. That might be a while. I actually got the floor pan replaced, first one I have done. I am pretty happy with the results. After I removed the hurst shifter I saw how bad the tunnel was hacked up. The crossmember had been pounded and curled around onto the top of the floorpan. It looke like the floor had been attacked by a crackhead with a hatchet. And of course you cant skimp on silicone.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What size tire/wheels on the rear of that.. they look awesome... was it mini tubbed??
The tires are 26x11.50x15 ET Streets. Dont know the width or backspacing of the wheels (I will try and remember to measure when I take them off). There is about an inch of clearance on the inside and 5/8 or so on the outside. They would almost definitely hit on the outside if the car was lower or had a taller tire. But they have never rubbed so far.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Last update for now. I pulled the 327 and sold it. Nobody wanted the TH400 so I will save it for another project. I slid the LQ4 and T56 in the car to see if the mounts were even close. The frame mounts were welded to the cross member and were not even close to the holes in the subframe with the old 327.

And this is how the car currently sits:

As you can see the oil pan hits the subframe before frame stands are about 3/4 inch off the subframe. After researching the part numbers (3964890 and 3980930)for the frame stands are for a 70-71 F-body. No wonder the bolt pattern does not match the subframe. I am considering just building some mounts and getting rid of the adapters rather than buying the correct frame stands.

On the plus side it looks the 98' F-body manifolds are going to clear the steering box.

The specs on the motor:
03' LQ4, Unknown mileage.
Stock bottom end
LSA Heads with some porting to remove the "wing" on the intake ports.
LS9 Head Gaskets
ARP Head Studs
Custom comp cams camshaft. Very mild grind for a turbo.
3/8" HKE pushrods (I forget the length)
Brian Tooley Dual Valve springs
LS3 Camaro Intake
Holley Swap Oil Pan
Dirty Dingo "double D" motor mount adapters
5.3L truck harness modified for standalone

The tranny is stock F-body T-56. I was originally going to use the TH400 but I wanted to do everything at the same time.

Havent decided on the accessory drive yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh hell yea, give us the low down on the baja, used to have a yellow one with a tri-mil 1835 duel 40idf's, with a close eye kit, and jackmans, sold it for my 68 blue super vee, same motor bigger came and a duel QP, that was a street terror,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh hell yea, give us the low down on the baja, used to have a yellow one with a tri-mil 1835 duel 40idf's, with a close eye kit, and jackmans, sold it for my 68 blue super vee, same motor bigger came and a duel QP, that was a street terror,
HA I wish I was excited about the VW as you are. My roommate bought that last week. It will need a lot of work. Other than being a 69 and having a stock motor I dont know much about it. It has a pretty extensive cage that has welds ranging from passable to scary. He is working on putting floor pans in it right now. His dad is big into VWs and has an 1800 something motor to put into it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PUNCH BUGGY WHITE and you can't punch back!:D

Nice build so far. Have you ran into any other issues besides the frame? The engine harness and CPU, are you going to mount that under the dash?

Dan
I really havent figured out to where to mount the computer yet. Thinking about the firewall underneath the driver side fender since the harness is kind of laid out to go that area, but I haven't seen if it will fit there or not.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up ordering some frame mounts from Summit to give the motor mounts/ adapters a fair try before I build some. After researching the mounts I believe I ordered the correct ones, but the information on the frame stands is so garbled I cant be sure. My assembly manual said part numbers 3955183 (Left) and 3980938 (Right). The OER mounts I ordered are part numbers OER-3955183 (Left) and OER-3955184 (Right), supposedly 3955184 was superseded by 3980938, so hopefully they are correct.

Since the frame mounts wont arrive for a while, I started patching the quarter panel on the driver side. Unfortunately I ordered the patch panel thinking it would be all I would need, but in hindsight I would have been better off with a quarter panel skin since there is a considerable amount of filler outside of the area of the patch. I missed the filler when looking at the car and ordered the patch before stripping the paint (DOH). The outer wheelhouse had a considerable amount of rust on the outer lip so I ordered some AMD replacements. I will get some pictures up soon.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts