Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of leaf spring bushings from summit. Energy suspension poly's. Double looked up the part number to make sure I had the correct application.

I finally got around to putting everything back together and the total width of the shackle bushings is too narrow for the factory shackles and stepped/shouldered bolts. The shoulder portion of the bushing is too narrow. There is about a 1/8-3/16" total gap with the factory shackle set up.

(I have the bolts snugged up)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper Automotive exhaust

Is this normal with poly bushings?

What's the solution short of ordering aftermarket shackles?

·
Registered
1963 Chevy II 2 door hardtop
399 Posts
The upper bushings don't look to be pressed in all the way and the old bushings have a very wide shoulder. Are you sure they are the stock bushing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just put a giant washer on either side to keep things tight. Don't know if it was correct, but I ran into that same issue with my ES bushings. I haven't gone on the road to see if it makes noise or not.
Can't really do the washer trick with a shackle that has a square hole for the factory bolt.

The upper bushings don't look to be pressed in all the way and the old bushings have a very wide shoulder. Are you sure they are the stock bushing?
They are very close but no need to press them in all the way. Using the bolt to cinch them down is the easiest way. That can't be done because the total width is narrower than the shaft.

Unsure if they are factory or not but the below bolt fits the total width with a factory bushing and the correct square hole / round hole factory shackles.

Tool Font Office supplies Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had the same problem when I replaced my rear springs a few years back. The bushings the spring shop initially sent (rubber not poly) were too small just like yours. I called the shop and the guy sent me replacement bushings that fit perfectly and were the same size as the originals. I think the guy told me that the smaller ones were for a Camaro, and the Nova ones were bigger. I know you checked the parts number, but it is possible that Summit's catalog does not differentiate between Nova and Camaro bushings. These are the correct ones that fit properly in the picture below.
Automotive tire Tire Gas Rim Bumper

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem when I replaced my rear springs a few years back. The bushings the spring shop initially sent (rubber not poly) were too small just like yours. I called the shop and the guy sent me replacement bushings that fit perfectly and were the same size as the originals. I think the guy told me that the smaller ones were for a Camaro, and the Nova ones were bigger. I know you checked the parts number, but it is possible that Summit's catalog does not differentiate between Nova and Camaro bushings. These are the correct ones that fit properly in the picture below.
Valid point. I just looked up my order and I see the issue now. I ordered the ones that Summit specifically said for "single leaf springs" I have a mono leaf setup but I needed to order the one they specify as multi leaf. The multi leafs have a thicker shoulder on the shackle bushing and appear to be Nova specific. I will be calling Summit to get a replacement.

I will also say that ES had both for a 70 Nova as well and they don't differentiate on their website.

Product Automotive tire Font Composite material Circle

Automotive tire Font Gas Composite material Auto part

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,359 Posts
Maybe - I remember when I replaced all my rear spring bushings & spring pads (for my stock Mono-leafs) ,
I had bought mine from Classic Industries (E S bushings) ; and if I remember - they listed bushings for both
Mono & Multi . I ordered the : Energy Suspension - Black - Mono - # 32101G .
They fit correctly , with no issues.
I did think that there was a difference for the two rear spring styles.

just thinking out-loud .

jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts